Fabia 1.4 16v 101 mpg, rpm at 70 ?

Antiphat

Hi guys, I read loads of topics about the MPG but it doesnt make sense to me.

I borrowed a fabia 1.4 16v, 75 bhp manual, and i average around 15-16 km/l, but then i realised they are a LOT higher geared than the 101 version. I was going to look at a really neat 101 model, but if it got a ****ty fuel economy, that might make me consider another car.

So just a couple of questions:

How much RPM are the 101 taking at 60-70-80 miles pr hour?

And what do you average MPG wise, and how do you drive?

Thx!

Edited by Antiphat

20 mph per 1000 rpm in 5th gear.

The economy is good if you resist the temptation to use the 100 bhp.

You must shift no later than 3500 rpm and keep it to 70 mph in top, driven this way you should easily average 40 - 45 mpg once the engine is fully warmed up.

21 minutes ago, sepulchrave said:

20 mph per 1000 rpm in 5th gear.

The economy is good if you resist the temptation to use the 100 bhp.

You must shift no later than 3500 rpm and keep it to 70 mph in top, driven this way you should easily average 40 - 45 mpg once the engine is fully warmed up.

Thanks for the fast reply man! I dont floor my car normally as I try to drive as fuel saving as possible, sometimes I do like to play around tho. I was considering the peugeot 206 SW as the other car.

So your saying its should could average 40 mpg/17 km/l at around 70 ? Thats actually really really good, considering most of my driving is at 55ish! I do roadtrip around 2000-3000 km pr summer, so the fuel economy is pretty important at highway speeds.

I did a one day trip, yesterday with my 101hp Fabia (aub). It was 520 km long and I drove in a variety of terrains. It included motorways and country roads, most of them mountainous. The consumption according the trip computer was 5.8l/100 km. I kept a steady speed on motorway at 120km/h but at the country I couldn't keep it constant. At the end, I had more than 1/4 of the tank full according the fuel needle. I can't tell you the true fuel consumption since I didn't topped it up after the trip but I guess it isn't far from what the trip computer said. 

26 minutes ago, makymak said:

I did a one day trip, yesterday with my 101hp Fabia (aub). It was 520 km long and I drove in a variety of terrains. It included motorways and country roads, most of them mountainous. The consumption according the trip computer was 5.8l/100 km. I kept a steady speed on motorway at 120km/h but at the country I couldn't keep it constant. At the end, I had more than 1/4 of the tank full according the fuel needle. I can't tell you the true fuel consumption since I didn't topped it up after the trip but I guess it isn't far from what the trip computer said. 

Actually that doesnt sound so bad on fuel after all :) Thanks for the reply btw!