turning off boot auto lock?

speedy2

my wife is currently stood next to our new yeti locked out.  she doesn't know how she did it but i'm guessing  she must have pressed the boot unlock button put the keys down closed boot and boom! also no phone as that's in there to (she borrowed persons  phone to call me ) !  ive had to call my daughter to go and rescue her  as i'm working away.

is there a way to disable it?  as with my beloved wife  I think its a recipe for disaster because  its the only car we've ever  had that's  done it and she is a nighmare with keys.im sure there is a reason for the system but  I much prefer just having the unlock all with one button system to be honest.

I suppose we can just ignore the boot unlock button but will she? Id like to minimise the chances of it all going wrong.

Edited by speedy2

2 minutes ago, skoda1982 said:

I never open the boot with the key as this is what happens   Have you got a spare key   call the

AA

to be honest I don't think she will ever again either lol

what a muppet!

• Like 1

I hope she's OK by now. 

The bootlock button is really only for use when the car is locked, and you only want access to the boot - loading shopping, for example, when you don't want other doors open.  The boot auto-locks if you simply close it again - default to security - and AFAIK there is no option to disable this. 

To avoid locking the keys in the boot like this, either use the door-open button - double-click - to open the whole car inc the boot

or

don't put your keys down :speechless:

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Brijo said:

I hope she's OK by now. 

The bootlock button is really only for use when the car is locked, and you only want access to the boot - loading shopping, for example, when you don't want other doors open.  The boot auto-locks if you simply close it again - default to security - and AFAIK there is no option to disable this. 

To avoid locking the keys in the boot like this, either use the door-open button - double-click - to open the whole car inc the boot

or

don't put your keys down :speechless:

Thanks  brijo

yeah she's back in now. just glad it happened at a busy supermarket during the day and not at night somewhere quiet ... horrible situation for a female on her own! ok so ive told her to just ignore that button completely now. 

I think its because she  had a Nissan leaf before and she never had to take the keys out of her purse... ah well once bitten and all that

Edited by speedy2

The handbook says there is a delay between shutting the "boot lid" and ir automatically locking .

It then says this delay can be extended by the dealer anyone done this ?

I find mine locks almost instantly.

Speedy2 , I use the boot unlock quite a bit when down the local marina and always scared of locking the keys in ! I end up with the keys on the ground or on the bumper.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, rarrar said:

The handbook says there is a delay between shutting the "boot lid" and ir automatically locking .

It then says this delay can be extended by the dealer anyone done this ?

I find mine locks almost instantly.

Speedy2 , I use the boot unlock quite a bit when down the local marina and always scared of locking the keys in ! I end up with the keys on the ground or on the bumper.

yeah I do think its a strange system to be honest.  I'm sure lots of cars do it and I'm sure there is a very good reason but I think its a bit pointless.  also you would think with the tech in modern cars it would be able to detect if keys were inside and not lock. 

1 hour ago, speedy2 said:

yeah I do think its a strange system to be honest.  I'm sure lots of cars do it and I'm sure there is a very good reason but I think its a bit pointless.  also you would think with the tech in modern cars it would be able to detect if keys were inside and not lock. 

According to the manual if you have the KESSY system the car will detect if you leave the key in the car and unlock it !

I expect the automatic locking is seen as an anti-theft measure.

3 hours ago, Brijo said:

...The boot auto-locks if you simply close it again - default to security ...

1 hour ago, rarrar said:

....the automatic locking is seen as an anti-theft measure.

You've got the idea :)...