Octavia vRS 2009 special edition

Does this have any issues with dpf.

I'm thinking of buying a 2009 special edition octavia vrs CR 2.0 tdi and I don't do many miles 8k max a year will this cause me any problems with dpf it's also done 110k with no cambelt change this will get done straight away

The CR engine is pretty good match for the DPF, at least compared to the older PD engines. It does depend more on the type of journeys your doing rather than overall mileage...

- If you mostly do short journeys where the engine doesn't get to normal operating temperature then it's likely to have issues.

- If it's mostly longer journeys, say 20 miles of fast A-roads/motorways then it should be fine.

Personally, at 8k I'd be leaning towards a petrol.

Alot will be short but I have been presented with a deal on a diesel that's hard to turn down.

But if dpf is going to cause me issues is there something I can do say at weekends like long drive to negate these issues?

Edited by Tichwhat
Missed information

4 minutes ago, Tichwhat said:

I understand from new however just wondered if there were ways to help to stop dpf issues.

Make longer journeys so the car is fully warmed up ;)

The DPF will need to regenerate as it'll be filling up with soot from the engine. It does this in two ways under normal use:

- Passive regeneration happens when the DPF gets hot enough under normal use to burn off soot (motorway runs seem to do this).

- Active regeneration happens after set distance/time/soot levels, the ECU increases exhaust temperatures thus heating the DPF and burning off the soot.

With short journeys, the passive regeneration will never happen so it's reliant on the active regeneration.

If they are very short, even the active regeneration won't be able to the DPF to temperature causing it to continue filling up.

Eventually, you'll get a DPF light on at which point you need to take it for a good drive on motorway/fast A-roads to allow the DPF to regenerate.

Assuming you ignore the DPF light or 'don't have time' for a decent drive, it will continue to fill until it can no longer be regenerated and need replacement which is expensive.

Might be worth adding exactly what journeys you intend to do as that'll give a better idea of suitability.

Definitely a petrol.

The diesel just won't get warm if you're doing 2 miles then stopping for an hour or so to work. Even on a CR engine I'd expect issues as the DPF is unlikely to get hot enough for regeneration.

Is the deal good enough you could you buy the diesel and sell for profit ;)

There is an additive you can use which Helps clear it out is this worth it.

Also been quoted £525 from Skoda for cam belt water pump ect £380 from a local trustworthy garage. 

Edited by Tichwhat