low mileage water pump change?

thebert

Hi folks

Asking on behalf of my father, 2012 fabia 1.4 only 17000 miles, (may be run in one day)

Service dept saying water pump swap for a recon unit on cambelt service.

While i get if high miles a tight new belt could cause problems with but the car has been very gently driven (ish as i bet he dose drop the clog, old habbits and all), no seriously and with such low miles we are struggling to see why the pump would need changing.

I'm way out of my depth here as all my cars do regular miles and a i service as per schedule and so on.... all and any thoughts greatfully received.

Kind regards, M

ps: excuse typos - dyslexianess

Edited by thebert
typos

Is this a 1.4TSI vRS Fabia or some other 1.4?

What ever it is i would leave well alone, or has there been some issue with the car.   No idea why a reconditioned unit is their suggested part while an original 17,000 mile water pump is fitted.

5th year and brake fluid should be getting changed and anything else according to what was done in the previous services.

Fit a genuine pump would be my advice. The labour charges to change the timing belt and the cost of the parts makes it uneconomic to cut corners. Coolant temperatures long term can effect the plastic (assuming it's a plastic impeller) on the pump, so change it too.

Its quite normal to get the water pump done with a cambelt change. Its a peace of mind thing because the pump is relatively inexpensive but the labour costs to get to it are large. Better to change it while they already have access to it. But as said above, get a new one not a recon one!

• Like 1