Few questions. Idle issue, VCDS, seals, oils etc

Got a few questions I can’t find a definitive answer for after google searches and thought I would stick these questions in one thread rather than start numerous. 

1.       I have a slightly lumpy idle when warm but when the car is cold its absolutely still on tick over.  Its not bouncing like the ICV is faulty.  When the throttle is pressed slightly and the revs raise 100rpm+ then the idle the engine is still again.  Not sure if its couple with the slight jerkiness that I have when going back on throttle or holding light throttle at 1,800rpm.  Are there any other culprits than the throttle body needing a clean?  I was going to swap the plugs out in the next couple of weeks when I service to rule that out also.

2.       Which leads me on to the next question.  Do you have to use Vag Com to do a TB adaption after it has been off.  Some information online says you can do it without.  If not will VCDS lite allow you to do it?

3.       Need to replace a diff seal due to a slight weep.  Does anyone know the dealer part number for it?  Also if I am being picky the box has a very slight catch (wouldn’t call it a crunch) when going into second in a morning but only for the first mile or so.  What gearbox oil would people recommend to use, standard or drop some different aftermarket oil in.

4.       Car has flashed up that it needs a service.  According to the handbook and chassis its on variable servicing.  What’s the correct oil?  Autodata lists all sorts of grades but doesn’t state what is the correct grade and type for variable. 

1.   Going to replace the oil pickup for peace of mind whilst doing the service.  What are people using as a good sealant

Lots of questions there! 

I'll start off with your idle question. Before disconnecting the throttle body,  take the hose off and have a look if it is particularly grubby first.  If not then probably won't solve your problem. 

Instead my focus would be on the engine breather system.  Check all the rubber hoses from the crank case breather and the rocker cover very carefully for splits.  These perish and even small holes can cause idling problems. 

I'll let others answer questions about gearbox and oils etc. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 13/02/2017 at 23:06, Leeboy said:

Lots of questions there! 

I'll start off with your idle question. Before disconnecting the throttle body,  take the hose off and have a look if it is particularly grubby first.  If not then probably won't solve your problem.

Took the intake pipe off last weekend and had a look at the TB.  Didnt seem overly bad but propped the butterfly open and wiped out the slight build up.  Idles slightly better but cleaned the MAF + AIT sensor and it seems to idle as it should now.

Still couldn't detrmine if 10-40w semi or 05-30w synthetic is the correct oil if anyone could help?

4 hours ago, SheffieldVRS said:

Still couldn't detrmine if 10-40w semi or 05-30w synthetic is the correct oil if anyone could help?

5W-30 VW 504.00/507.00 spec oil is the recommended for long life servicing and 5W-40 VW 502.00/505.00 spec oil is recommended for fixed interval.

I am using 5W-40 Quantum oil and changing it every 10k:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GENUINE-VW-VOLKSWAGEN-5-LITRE-QUANTUM-PLATINUM-ENGINE-OIL-5W-40-ZGB115QLB00521-/222367137780

This is the long life oil:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Quantum-Longlife-5W-30-Fully-Synthetic-Engine-Oil-5-Litre-Bottle-ZGB115QLB00501-/222424562759

54 minutes ago, vrsTom said:

5W-30 VW 504.00/507.00 spec oil is the recommended for long life servicing

Thanks Tom.  The car is on variable so will stick to quantum 05w-30 longlife.  £20 quid seems like a good price for aswell

It might not actually be on variable... mine was also on variable service intervals when new but resetting the service indicator on the dash switches it to fixed. I believe it needs plugging in through the diagnostic port to reset the variable service indicator and I'm not sure if it can be done with freely available/cheap tools (i.e. Torque app, VCDS Lite or a cheap code reader).

There has been a lot of debate on long life vs fixed interval servicing. For what it costs to do an oil change (sub £25 for oil, filter and sump plug) and what it might cost to reset the variable service indicator I do mine on fixed intervals for the simplicity and peace of mind. Seems to have worked well for me so far (bought car on 72k, now on 162k!).

Good point.  For the cost I am going to go on fixed interval servicing but use longlife oil.  An oil drop once a year at that cost is not expensive or time consuming for peace of mind.  I intend on keeping it for a few years as running it on LPG is rediculously economical.  I'm just hoping it stays reliable

It can happen but this kit has already done 40+k with the last owner. I can get reman 20v heads fairly cheap and it wouldnt cost much more to have hardened seats put in. Easily offset by the cost of running in the first year.