Rear Wiper Motor Compatibility Between Version

dsr

Does anybody know if the rear wiper motor off a MKI Octavia works correctly on the MKII ?

Part numbers for them are 1U9 955 711 and 1Z5 955 711 respectively.

The 1U9 is more readily available and significantly cheaper than the 1Z5 model.

The fixing bolt spacings are identical as is the through spindle washer and fitting but there could be issues with the length of the spindle and the wipe angle.

Regards,

D

Answering my own question - They aren't.  I contacted a few sellers and they all came back and said it wouldn't fit.

Anybody able to shed light on the £30 difference in price ?

I've dismantled, cleaned and greased the old one.  Hopefully, it will outlast the car.

Main learning outcome - the tailgate neets to be shut when testing it.  If it's open, it  won't wipe.

D

If you look at the 1Z5 version (1Z9 955 711B in my case) you will see a small black plate on top. You can unclip this easily with your finger nails and then you will see a printed circuit board stuffed with a quite a lot of electronic components under a conformal coating. The electronics not only controls and switches the motor on and off but talks to the rest of the car too. I guess that must the extra £30. It also has a four way connector block whereas, from memory the 1U has a three wire connector.