Pre-wash/Pump Sprayer Revelation

Clarkey666

Morning All,

I'm not on here very often these days, but I thought I'd share a recent revelation (to me) with you guys that will hopefully help at least some of you. Like you, I like keeping the car clean and tidy and am always keen to hear of better products and methods, particularly if they make the process more effective as well as less time consuming.

After seeing numerous detailers using pre wash cleansers and the like recently, I asked a couple of friends of mine who know more than me regarding detailing if it was worth adding this to the process. I use Bilt Hamber Auto Foam and rate it highly, and a friend mentioned he'd read of it being used as a pre wash cleanser with something like a 4% dilution rate. So, I scoured the net for a pump sprayer, and went with a 7L one from Screwfix for the princely sum of a tenner. I put about 300ml of BHAF in there and topped the rest up with water.

Rather than foaming, I pressure washed the car, then applied the 'pre-wash' solution via the pump sprayer in the form of a fine mist, left for a good ten minute period to dwell and rinsed off. I must declare that the car was well protected to begin with, but also that it was horrifically dirty. It made me sad to look at. This was a few weeks ago when the roads were covered in grit and the car hadn't been washed for three weeks. I had to clean the number plate so it was legible a couple of times in order to drive- THAT bad.

For the sake of a tenner, it was worth a go, although if it didn't work I'd be able to use the sprayer for something else. However, the results were rather surprising. Incredible, actually. Upon rinsing the car off, the baked on grit all over the back of the car came clean off. I couldn't believe my eyes. The sprayer, not completely full, lasted for a total of four decent washes, which is hugely economical on the snow foam usage front as I'd have used almost 300ml for one wash, let alone four.

Apologies for the lack of pictures, but Hunty can vouch for the results as I showed him before/after shots. Essentially, it will cost you a tenner, but will save loads of snow foam over time and a little faffing with the snow foaming process itself. In my opinion it is well worth it. It has made my process of washing the car (followed up by 2BM, drying and application of BSD for a normal wash) a bit quicker and will save cash on foam.

I assume this or something similar might have been covered, and this isn't me saying pre-wash cleansers aren't effective at all, just for me and my needs this is a very easy and economical solution.

I hope this is of use to some of you. If anyone has any questions or opinions, please feel free to post.

Cheers all.

• Like 3

Great tip, thanks! I have an almost full 5 litre tub of BH auto foam in the shed, which I gave up on after not one but two expensive foam lances disintegrated after a few uses. I'm now using PowerMaxed TFR at 1:15 in a cheap garden sprayer, with equally good results and much less hassle. To find out I can use up my foam in the same way is a bit of a cracking idea. Nice one!

• Like 1