Ash tray(coin tray) and centre consol side removal

Hi all

is there a way to remove the coin tray at the underside of the dashboard on the centre console on my Vrs?  also can the plastic trims to the centre console (next to front seats) also be removed?

if anyone has any tips or photos of how to do this it would be apreciated

thank you

2 hours ago, CramVRs said:

Hi all

is there a way to remove the coin tray at the underside of the dashboard on the centre console on my Vrs?  also can the plastic trims to the centre console (next to front seats) also be removed?

if anyone has any tips or photos of how to do this it would be apreciated

thank you

Yes - it's quite easy, I have done it on mine as I have a 2 way radio control head mounted in the shtray location.

Just have to remember how -  So, totally from memory (as I did this over 2 years ago!)

Start with removing trim round the gear lever - just unclips. If auto, there is a connection unde rpanel for gear indicator light.

That uncovers 2 screws in front of gear lever that releases the ash tray assembly that can be slid backl and lifted out - there's probably a light that you have to unclip?

Side panels are 2 part - the lower unclips after releasing a screw at the front - unclip carefully!

Hope that helps.

John.

IMG_1487.JPG

Edited by JayTee
added side panels

will this be the same as mine is a manual?  ive tried to lift the gear gaitor but feels like something is holding it in place.  I don't want to pull it too hard for it to break

17 hours ago, Croat said:

And why would you remove this?

so I can install an additional USB and place it next to the original manufacture install one.  It makes it all look tidy

3 minutes ago, CramVRs said:

I have managed to remove the gear gaiter but there isn't any screws to remove the ash tray.  Any help would be apprecaited

thanks

You have to remove the complete panel that has the gear gaiter in the middle and the drive mode switch etc. at the front. The 2 screw are located under the front of that panel.

If you can't see how to do that, I will check on my car at lunchtime.

Ok I see.  I'm assuming those switches will just lift up?  the panel around mine seems to be a thin carbon fibre effect panel and I would imagine any time of manoeuvring with it will crack and break it.

thanks for your help

2 minutes ago, CramVRs said:

Ok I see.  I'm assuming those switches will just lift up?  the panel around mine seems to be a thin carbon fibre effect panel and I would imagine any time of manoeuvring with it will crack and break it.

thanks for your help

I will have a look at lunch time and let you know the exact process

• Like 1

8 hours ago, CramVRs said:

I have managed to remove the gear gaiter but there isn't any screws to remove the ash tray.  Any help would be apprecaited

thanks

can i ask how the gaiter came out - did it unclip between the black gaiter and silver surround, or silver surround and the main panel?

Edited by encephalopathy

you pull the whole lot out together - the section with the switches in it has 4 retaining clips to the centre of each area.  it just lifts up with a gentle persuasion

On 01/03/2017 at 17:34, JayTee said:

Yes - it's quite easy, I have done it on mine as I have a 2 way radio control head mounted in the shtray location.

Just have to remember how -  So, totally from memory (as I did this over 2 years ago!)

Start with removing trim round the gear lever - just unclips. If auto, there is a connection unde rpanel for gear indicator light.

That uncovers 2 screws in front of gear lever that releases the ash tray assembly that can be slid backl and lifted out - there's probably a light that you have to unclip?

Side panels are 2 part - the lower unclips after releasing a screw at the front - unclip carefully!

Hope that helps.

John.

IMG_1487.JPG

You work in the Police or something?