Switched live in the front overhead light pod

Hi all,

I've got a dash cam that I want to fit (suction mount to the windscreen next to the rear view mirror). However I don't want to have a cable run all around inside to power it. To this end I've got a 12v USB power converter that I intend to wire into the overhead interior lighting pod at the front (image below). This way I can then just have a short cable to the camera and sit it next to the rear view mirror.

My question is how do I pop that lighting pod apart to get into it? I'm good on the electrics side and will find a switched 12v feed in there once I'm in, but I'd like to open it up without damaging it!

Anyone any thoughts or advice? I asked at the dealer service desk and their guys haven't had to open one up yet, so they have no idea (or don't want to share, more likely!).

Thanks
Dan

Photo-2017-03-05-11-20-31_91B58CB2-AADE-4FC4-AF1A-527BA212CC5A.JPG

I may be wrong here but most on this forum have fed from the fuse box, I suggest this is because that the feeds to this pod will be permanent live..... all function without ignition on, even in your case the sunroof which can be closed from the  key fob...

Can't help you with this directly but, unless you're a person with very strong morals, could be worth getting hold of the ElsaWin system.

I bought a copy off a well-known auction site for £3.99 when I 1st bought my Yeti. My copy would be too old now to cover your car & I can't remember where I've put my disc. Off course, I hang my head in shame for buying an unauthorised copy - only you can decide whether you support such shenanigans. 

There might be something in the manual as if the sunroof fails there's usually a hand cranking point hidden in this pod and the manual should tell you how to get to it (It does in the Superb II anyway). If you use plastic tools to lift the edge of the panel it'll probably pop out. I'd start at the back corner and work from there.

I ended up going back to the fusebox and hiding the wiring in the A pillar trim and tucked inside the front of the headliner. Added a split-fuse holder to the rear washer fuse and ran it from there. All nicely hidden away and not a scotchlock in sight!!

• Like 2