Mk 2 Monte Carlo

Thinking of buying  Monte Carlo 1.6cr (105), Are they a good car and worth buying at the right price. Wife likes white with black roof.

Your opinions would be appreciated.

I have had 2 and liked both

A petrol,and a diesel.                                 Just remember if you buy the diesel you don't do too many short journeys as you could get dpf problems.                              (This is from experience).                        Other than that, nice car

• Like 1

As posted above the 1.6CRTDi is not a car for town work or mostly slow speed journeys unless it also gets a good run at least once a week. Generally the economy is disappointing because of the emissions control system.

What year are you looking at? EGR failure is common due to poor materials used, the design was revised around 2012. As well as the parts cost of ~£350 the labour is 5-6 hours because so much has to be dismantled then reassembled. If already replaced then no worries.

The other major thing is cambelt replacement at 5 years or 60000 miles if reached first. At the same time the water pump should be changed since if it fails later all the same dismantling & reasembly is required again. Cost ~£400.

With any model check all the electric windows and the locking / unlocking from the key fob, the door lock and the internal buttons. Check the air con operation and the circulation fan at all speeds.

I have a fabia elegance / Frankenstein monte 1.6 (105) I use it for motorway hauls 60+ miles a day which keeps the DPF clear. But short journeys in town are ok but a couple weeks ago car started crying because it hadn't been on a motorway and threw a DPF light, quick motorway blip and it got rid of it. 

I have had my roof wrapped black (£115) within a week as I also liked the black roof. Lovely car just shop around as some monte Carlos aren't as well equipped as the Elegence models since they are modelled of the SE trim. Try and get one with a maxi dot as they are worth having. 

IMG_8411.PNG

Hi there, my wife just picked up her second hand Monte at the weekend. Late 14 reg so one of the last I think before the mk3 came out. She too liked the look because of the black roof and in her case, the red bodywork. Hers is the 86bhp 1.2TSI. Coming from her Kia Picanto which she had for 11 years, it's pretty much chalk and cheese and she is loving the Monte so far. More than enough poke for what she does.  Rides well. Only negative is that with the low profile 17" alloys, tyre noise is a bit loud on rougher road surfaces.  Her Monte comes with the maxidot which I think makes a big difference to the look of the dashboard - looks a bit more premium. Also came with rear parking sensors which are always useful and cruise control as well. Also has a front armrest but don't think it is much use in normal driving as it gets in the way of the handbrake. Picked up a spare wheel kit last night that I got on Ebay for £50 and now waiting for some floor mats. Just now hope that the car proves as reliable as the Picanto before it. I have had my Octy 2 for 10 years and my bruv has had a Roomster for 5 with no real issues so hoping it will be the same her Monte.

Thank you for your replies. I have a mk1 vrs at the mo that my wife uses for work. She does about 25k a year but that is soon to rise. We have looked at low mileage ones, 2013/14 so hopefully egr has been done. No worries about dpf as car will certainly get used.

• Like 1

On 3/14/2017 at 22:21, 68jcb said:

Thank you for your replies. I have a mk1 vrs at the mo that my wife uses for work. She does about 25k a year but that is soon to rise. We have looked at low mileage ones, 2013/14 so hopefully egr has been done. No worries about dpf as car will certainly get used.

All cars have little issues and over time things need replacing! If she likes the car then thats all that matters, all cars will have bad sides but its a great car and a nice motorway cruiser!

We have just put deposit down on a 2013 monte carlo 1.6tdi with 15k on the clock, looks awsome in yellow. Doesn't have the omph that the vrs has, that will change when warranty runs out.

• Like 1