2010 1.9 lift

Hi all. Second post so be prepared. 

I am possibly going to be inheriting a roomster from a family member as my daily.  It has a lot of promise as a replacement for my Jimny in terms of interior volume for taking hay to sheep or transportation of other bulky farm items. However it is never going to compete with the Jimny for ground clearance and traction. I accept that it is an utterly different type of vehicle and I am not getting rid of the Jimny so it will still be doing all the high mobility work. What I would like though is to at least get near some of the parcels of land with the roomster, and this is the rub, the access to the main bit of land is via a green lane which while having access I am not at liberty to maintain, councils get upset with non specification repairs. So that means that I would have to lift the roomster so I don't gut it like a fish getting to where I want to be. 

That's the background. So to lift it I could look into taller springs say off a yeti but that's a lot of time and effort. Next and my preferred option is taller tyres. I know that will affect the gearing blah blah blah, but it is a relatively simple and easy way to gain half an inch or more of ground clearance. So has anyone else looked at this even from trying to get say 18s on one or something, I would be keeping the 15s just upping the sidewall profile to say a 70 from a 55.

Any suggestions beyond don't bother and stick with the Jimny? 

Welcome.

Larger tyres is the simple solution so you have that right, and yes it affect your gearing. 

Plus you still have no extra articulation, but as you knew a standard Jimny has little of much clearance & poor articulation on 205/70 R15's as far as the bottom of the diff on the independent axles.

http://kouki.co.uk/utilities/visual-tyre-size-calculator.

Looks like you will be having to be modifying the front of the Roomster as much as just getting it up another inch if even that with bigger tyres.

george

Sometimes you just need to get out of the ruts.

17551_jimny_snow_clova_dec_09_013_640x480_1.jpg

tay & tong.& knockhill. june 2009 023 (800x505) (2).jpg

Edited by Awayoffski

The Jimny is 7.5 inch under the diffs which is fine but because of the different ways the two suspension systems work it is a minimum dimension on the Jimny whereas the roomster is a maximum measurement.  Thing is with a  195 70 15 it's a full 25 mm more under the car which can only help in these specific circumstances tho it might not be good for every other occasion. 

You are not going to get 195/70 R 15 Tyres into the wheel wells of a Roomster.

http://kouki.co.uk/utilities/visual-tyre-size-calculator 

(My Blue Jimny had on 195/75 R 15 instead of the standard 205/70 R15)

The Roomster might surprise you i have taken FWD Yetis places that my standard jimny has not enough articulation for.

Yeti's have not clearance no matter what the official figures say.

I would not stick with the Jimny if you need more room, i would try and get a GV in a swap for it and the Roomster, 

or just get the Jimny turned into a Trayback.

S7300007.JPG

Edited by Awayoffski

• 2 weeks later...

195/60/R15 tyres are the largest OK to use at any load and give 10mm uplift (in use at present) , 195/65/R15 are the largest that will fit without rubbing on new car, but rear wheel wells will have VERY small clearance, i think even worn suspension bushes or overloading would make them rub against wheels. For off-road use probably 185/65/R15 would be best bet for 1/2in lift. The nice part is the spare wheel will fit its well at all sizes quoted. 

Then if/when shocks need replacement anyway, you can install Bilstein B6s all round for another ~8mm lift (pressurised monotube shocks, also much better handling), anything past that requires stronger/taller springs. Yeti springs are unlikely to fit at front as front is Fabia Mk2 platform, rear Golf Plus Mk4 platform (factory "cut and shut" :)) . For anything offroad it is worth fitting front skid plate to save oil sump and gearbox, when I bought the car in 2012 it cost about 100 quid in parts and about an hour to fit myself, for me worth every penny even for ordinary motoring.

Gearing is not a problem at least with 195/60/R15, speedo is 98% actual speed so also OK, but I found I had to adjust toe after a while to counter edge tyre wear, not much though. HTH