Skoda warranty & service - modification question..

hello all, 

my 2015 190 dsg superb is going into the dealers over the next few weeks for a couple of warranty things - non responsive screen when really cold; fan sometimes stays on a lot (although this might be DPF, as has stopped over past month when i've done more miles).

I'll get them to do a service at the same time, as its not yet had one done.

I made a couple of changes on VCDS - Audi pedal/keeping rear LED's on/couple of extra menus in the Dotmatrix screen/off road on Columbus.

Would any of these changes be likely to affect a warranty claim, so should i revert to standard before it goes in?

Thanks in advance.

Rog.

Not sure about Skoda dealers but SEAT never mentioned anything about the VCDS mods I had, which included some fairly obvious things like a carbon display on the infotainment screen, needle sweep on start-up, a lap timer and traffic sign recognition.  All of which weren't even options on the Leon FR! 

They also never reported or mentioned a TD1 flag, which should have happened as my car was remapped, though it was returned to the stock map before any dealer visits.  

I guess they will only go snooping if they have reason to but most dealers aren't going to shoot themselves in the foot for warranty work when the manufacturer is footing the bill.   

I personally can't see how any VCDS would cause an issue TBH as it's features that are already built in, just not enabled and let's face it you're only doing things the dealer wanted to charge you £££'s for in the first place. 

EDIT: BUT I really would be interested to know if dealers have an official line/stance on this (?)

Edited by penguin17

1 minute ago, penguin17 said:

Not sure about Skoda dealers but SEAT never mentioned anything about the VCDS mods I had, which included some fairly obvious things like a carbon display on the infotainment screen, needle sweep on start-up, a lap timer and traffic sign recognition.  All of which weren't even options on the Leon FR! 

They also never reported or mentioned a TD1 flag, which should have happened as my car was remapped, though it was returned to the stock map before any dealer visits.  

I guess they will only go snooping if they have reason to but most dealers aren't going to shoot themselves in the foot for warranty work when the manufacturer is footing the bill.   

I personally can't see how any VCDS would cause an issue TBH as it's features that are already built in, just not enabled and let's face it you're only doing things the dealer wanted to charge you £££'s for in the first place. 

thank you Penquin17. 

i was thinking the same. unless it was in for engine/gearbox warranty work where Skoda were expecting to foot the bill, i thought its unlikely they'd bother looking.

had twelve service visits after made huge count of VCDS mods
most of problems were rejected - not because mods, but with argument

"what you want, it is Škoda, it must have rattles, dead chrome etc. if you prefer better quality you had to pay 40kEuros to other brand"

also asked what will happen if i install exhaust's tips, they answered "warranty will lose only touched parts".
have already bought, but not installed yet

https://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B01ER10LCO/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ALZUNTZPEN3IN

• Like 1

As long as you are not fitting or installing 'Non Factory approved parts, hardware or software'  as in their TC's and Exclusions in the Manufacturers Warranty.  You are not Remapping or the likes when activation something that Skoda Installed and Fitted but did not activated.

Maybe you infringe some Licence or Copyright or they will try saying you did.

So there comes the rub.

As to Non Factory Approved Software or Hardware, then that is another kettle of Defeat Devices as the VW Group seems to have had many Factory Approved software codes installed, just 'The Management' knew nothing.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MartiniB said:

had twelve service visits after made huge count of VCDS mods
most of problems were rejected - not because mods, but with argument

"what you want, it is Škoda, it must have rattles, dead chrome etc. if you prefer better quality you had to pay 40kEuros to other brand"

In the UK Skoda often wins the Customer Satisfaction Surveys in the weekly/monthly mags beating premium brands such as VW, Audi, BMW, Mercedes etc, etc.

If any dealer said to me that I should pay ££££'s for another brand to get better quality I would be writing to the CEO, Motoring press etc and I would not give in until I had an apology.

I would suggest you have a muppet for a dealer. When you spend money you should get quality and reliability even if you pay reasonable Skoda prices instead of rip off Merc ones.

• Like 2