Driver assist

It stopped me driving into the back of a car in a long traffic jam where my concentration slipped. Was damned glad of it. Started braking for me and gave me time to slam my foot all the way down before driving into the back of the car in front.... Don't know how close I was when it activated to be honest, but it's not something I would 'use' intentionally in any way, so it doesn't really matter IMO.

Edited by CheshireBumpkin
  • Like 1

So you would have had a accident then? Would it stop you all together do you think? Or does it just give you a warning by applying the brakes.thinking my eldely mother should have this fitted on her new mobility car although not a superb.

34 minutes ago, p5stokes said:

So you would have had a accident then? Would it stop you all together do you think? Or does it just give you a warning by applying the brakes.thinking my eldely mother should have this fitted on her new mobility car although not a superb.

I think in theory it can brake you to a standstill in the Superb - not sure about other vehicles though. I definitely would have shunted into the back of the car in front without it - one of those typical stop/start traffic jams that go on for miles and after a while you stop concentrating....

If I was speccing a car for my mother (or anyone TBH) and it wasn't standard, I'd add it if the cost was reasonable (or free if it's motability? Not sure how it works...).

It has activated three times for me since I bought the car.  First time when a car braked in front of me (with no brake lights working :angry:), second time when a car drive out in front of me from a side road and the last time was the most scary, when I meet an A4 going the wrong way round a roundabout!!  It definitely works and starts braking just that faction ahead of when you would instinctively do it yourself.

Interestingly, my dealer mentioned recently that they notice a dramatic change in the type of body shop repairs they are carrying out these days, with much less associated with rear end shunts and smaller panel repairs.  They said they definitely attribute this to the newer safety systems

Edited by Superb170
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

I commute 112 miles a day on the M27 so mine comes on a lot, mainly when someone decides to change lanes at the last second or forces their way from the sliproad and slots into the gap the ACC is allowing me.

It brakes quite hard and screams at me to brake, sometimes I do and sometimes I don't but I'm not sure if it's the ACC or it that slams them on.

On 20 March 2017 at 09:07, Superb170 said:

Interestingly, my dealer mentioned recently that they notice a dramatic change in the type of body shop repairs they are carrying out these days, with much less associated with rear end shunts and smaller panel repairs.  They said they definitely attribute this to the newer safety systems

That surprises me, as my car has twice recently braked when there was no need and if I hadn't managed to hit the accelerator pretty sharpish, I could have been rear-ended. 

Mine has done it twice.

Both times due to the front number plate moving out a few millimeters.

Whilst it's back getting it's faulty door and damaged alloy fixed they will screw it in place.

Had it for 3 years on my last two Volvos - one of them is nearly a decade old. I've lost count of the amount of times it has saved my (and as a result, other peoples') life in those 3 years or 90000 miles. Absolutely invaluable on long motorway drives when people tend to decelerate heavily without using brakes or change lane at a moments' notice and was top of the list of requirements when I looked for a new one.

The fact ACC is standard on Superbs is brilliant and was one of the driving factors in me getting one. I refuse to buy another car without it. 

SWMBO thinks it's witchcraft though...

Edited by BigBadRob
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, daveo138 said:

SWMBO is right.  

Oh if I had a penny..... ;)

What confuses me now that I've lived with it for so long and seen how useful it can be, is why you'd want cruise control without the ability to autonomously brake. The Volvo system never once braked unnecessarily and 4 out of 5 times it operated during severely reduced visibility in the slinging rain when I would have been a LOT closer to the vehicle in front before I'd noticed the closing gap.

What system is this?

There are a number of driver assistance systems but none are called driver assist. http://assistants.skoda-auto.com/#superb

The differing systems have differing purposes and ways of reacting/controlling the vehicle.

If it is AAC then having driven with ACC for over 120,000 miles in a Ford Mondeo it is a great system.  I have yet to receive my Superb but I expect it to be much better, more advanced and refined.  If you find that the car is responding in a more urgent manner than you would expect or are happy with then maybe widen the gap a little.

I have not driven with City Emergency Brake (Front Assist) 

10 hours ago, Bud said:

What system is this?

There are a number of driver assistance systems but none are called driver assist. http://assistants.skoda-auto.com/#superb

The differing systems have differing purposes and ways of reacting/controlling the vehicle.

If it is AAC then having driven with ACC for over 120,000 miles in a Ford Mondeo it is a great system.  I have yet to receive my Superb but I expect it to be much better, more advanced and refined.  If you find that the car is responding in a more urgent manner than you would expect or are happy with then maybe widen the gap a little.

I have not driven with City Emergency Brake (Front Assist) 

I think they are talking about Front Assist.

I get the beeping and the red car on the central display at some stage on most journeys, very occassionally it has a crack at the braking. It's never yet been in a situation where I wasn't aware of what was happening. I usually find it goes off when the car in front is making a left turn. I know he will be gone before I get there, but front assist doesn't seem so sure.

I keep thinking I will turn it off, but I know I'll probably crash as soon as I do.

Interestingly I think it only works if you are going above a certain speed. I was behind someone joining a roundabout the other day when he started to go and then changed his mind and slammed the anchors on. I was moving forward with him as you do and had to react pretty quickly to avoid giving him a nudge. Front assist wasn't bothered.