Fabia VRS to Yeti - which engine!?

TeebsVRS

I have a very tentative idea to maybe change cars this year after sticking with my 2012 Fabia VRS for 80k miles - I've always had a soft spot for the Yeti (especially the pre-facelift look!).

Which engine might be the best to not be too much of a disappointment after 4.5 years of 180bhp! I'm no boy racer, so if I'm honest rarely use the power but it's so nice to have for overtakes or motorways. I'm assuming it's either the old 1.8TSi model or the 140/170bhp diesels? I've heard the 1.8 is very thirsty, and I'm wary of going diesel in case of severe future legislations. I'd be reluctant to lose too much mpg than the VRS which averages between 42-46mpg. Would quite like to keep DSG - is the unit used in the Yetis the 6 or 7 speed version?

CR170 with Shark Stage 1 remap should see 200-205bhp - should be broadly similar to your VRS, taking into account the extra weight and 4wd drivetrain losses of the Yeti.

You'd get around the same MPG as you get now.

One other point to consider is that of braking, only the CR170 came with larger (312mm) brakes, makes a difference if you like to drive with a little enthusiasm now and then.

• Like 3

Awaiting my new 150 dsg diesel. On the test drive it was a lot faster and more responsive than my current Greenline 1.6tdi 105ps.

However its all relative as I really like blasting around in my wifes 1.6 tdi fabia which goes much better than the Yeti with the same size engine

I agree with muddyboots. Shark Stage 1 accomplished with their STS system. Apparently it works very well with the CR170. 

I too went from a mapped Fabia vRS. 

What you dont don't get from the CR engines is the real punch of power that the PD engine produced. Everything is much more subtle but it's definitely there! 

On the handling front, when 'pushing on', the Yeti rolls less (in my humble opinion) than the vRS and the grip with the Haldex 4WD system is nothing short of phenomenal.