Mysterious pipes - 220 engine

Hi all,

Wondered if anyone could shed some light on this. My partner's son has just bought a Mk7 Golf GTI and I have a Superb 220, so we were spending some time yesterday laughing at how our engines are identical....

Anyway we discovered a couple of pipes which we have no idea of their purpose...

One is attached to the turbo directly underneath the turbo air inlet pipe, and runs along the passenger side of the engine before running down to the bottom and off towards the passenger side fog light..?

The other seems to be attached to the side of the radiator on the driver's side, and it bends around in a 'U' shape and disappears under the engine block..?

It's probably obvious but we aren't very clued up on the mechanics of engines etc, I wondered if one (or both) could be related to the intercooler but I'm not even sure our engines have them?

Any info at all would be great :D

cheers

I think I may have answered my own question, but if someone could confirm that'd be great :) attached is a photo from a VAG workshop guide I found (here).

I think both of the pipes are indeed part of the Charge Air System (intercooler). The pipes I was referring to are 1 and 17 in the picture.

If I'm right, where does pipe 18 connect to?

charge air system.JPG

20 minutes ago, Corbu33 said:

So any news on the rattle ?

Yes actually I have just posted an update on the thread :)