1.2 TSI 105PS Fuel Injection

Been looking at the few things with my engine online, mostly into using the V Power for its advertised cleaning properties for a short time to see if it sorts the rough idle out.

Came across the carbon build problem with these TSI engines and wondered if the engine i have is port injected or direct?

I read in an Audi 1.2 FTSI engine self study PDF that what it describes as a swirl port design with 'swirl combustion'

Then looking at the exploded diagram it shows the injector tip more positioned into the actual combustion chamber so i guess direct injection?

I'll have to check which engine i have, think its the CBZB. 

7 minutes ago, Gonzini said:

Been looking at the few things with my engine online, mostly into using the V Power for its advertised cleaning properties for a short time to see if it sorts the rough idle out.

Came across the carbon build problem with these TSI engines and wondered if the engine i have is port injected or direct?

I read in an Audi 1.2 FTSI engine self study PDF that what it describes as a swirl port design with 'swirl combustion'

Then looking at the exploded diagram it shows the injector tip more positioned into the actual combustion chamber so i guess direct injection?

I'll have to check which engine i have, think its the CBZB. 

the TSI has a high pressure fuel rail and is injected straight into the cylinder , ive been thinking about your rough idle , it could be , 1 sooted up plugs/plug Gap wrong/type of plug (can get upgraded plugs) , 2 injectors leaking on idle (was a problem on the 1.4 TSI , 3 coil packs faulty , 4 MAP(MAF) sensor, also the TSI have a adjustable choke IE on start up it will run rich to get perfect fuel consumption etc I'm sure it does this through a sensor or could be the RON of fuel, you would know if you had carbon build up it would be on your plugs heres a TSI video 

2 hours ago, Awayoffski said:

So have you checked out the 4 spark plugs yet, and the air filter, maybe change the fuel filter?

Ran out of time over the weekend in the end, just managed to give it a wash....

I wanted to at least check the air filter, i'm sure it will look like new.

Guess the plugs are quite deep in the head? What size socket are they?

Might have a few tools in the shed, i did have some spark plug sockets of different sizes. Rest of my tools are at work.

I'll keep on topic for the other thread...

thomasaspin

I think need to get the plugs out and have a look, should be a good sign of how well its running. Its pretty good general driving about, its very responsive. I've started to drive it a bit more up the rev range before changing up, 3/4K. Put 20L of V Power in there as well earlier.

Not sure if its a good idea to fill right up with that stuff, it will be about a 50/50 mix at the moment.

The carbon build up is a bit of a concern with these, i didn't realise it was such an issue with these modern TSI engines.

• 2 weeks later...

Couldn't talk to the ECU, i think my ODB2 USB adaptor doesn't support the CAN bus on these later cars.

Guess there's many threads about this on the forum somewhere and what adaptors work with VCDS?

What age is it and how many miles. Has the car had regular oil changes? - Start with the basics, if it's the older 8v EA1111.2tsi (which I thinkg it is at 105 - later EA211 1.2 16v was 110) they were prone to ignition lead overheating/failure

Carbon buildup only starts causing a misfire when the valves are held open slightly causing a loss in compression - this should show up in a compression test.

If carboned up but caught early Terraclean can help, or if further gone - walnut blasting. Eventually valves can burn though.

Cars just over 3 years old, late 2013 reg. Just gone over 15K, full service history at dealers. Is the 105PS.

Don't think its carbon build up but i cant see inside the engine...

Just looked at what my OBD USB adaptor is and i reckon its a basic KKL one without CAN bus support.

Its been a while since i looked into the OBD stuff.

Got a 200 mile journey next week, I'll fill it up again with Vpower and see how it runs after that. Car will be garaged for the week then 200 mile trip back. Still have some warranty on it so I'm keen to push for that if parts are covered (most likely not....) if proves to be a real problem.

It always starts OK, its never stalled so far. Rough idle comes and goes, hot or cold engine.

Drives fine other than that. 

If the ignition leads dont have "marten protection" i.e. ribbed trunking, so just plain leads going to the plugs, then sooner or later the lead to cylinder 3 will fail. If fitted with the trunking check none is welded to the exhaust shield, it will probably be burnt through and again exposes the lead inside to high temperature.

A failed lead continues to work for a while as the broken internal core will spark over until the voltage reduction causes misfires. If allowed to continue it eventually causes the coil pack to fail as well.

Known faults that vag try to deny.

Diagnostics may log the misfire giving you the evidence.

Edited by xman