which yeti should i buy?

harcourt81

Hi everyone,

I am a previous owner of numerous skoda vehicles and wanted some advice.

I am looking at getting a used yeti around £10k budget but was not sure which engines are any good or should be avoided?

I do mainly short journeys and less than 8k miles a year. Looking on the other forums here I am a little worried the 1.2petrol is a bit of gamble due the the stretched chain issuses. But dont do the mileage to ? warrant a diesel either. 

So which is the best, most reliable and reasonable to run choice?

Any help greatly appreciated.

Nick.

Edited by harcourt81

Your annual mileage means you need a petrol engine. For £10k you should just be able to get a F/L Yeti with the newer 1.2 litre engine with a cam belt rather than chain. Otherwise you could look for a 1.8 petrol engined Yeti. Higher petrol consumption than 1.2 but as you only do 8k miles per year the fuel premium won't be too bad.

I think that the stretched chain issue was mainly confined to earlier models, I had a 2012 1.2 Yeti for 5 years without problem. With your budget if you can't get a F/L model you will certainly get a later pre F/L model by which time the timing chain problems had been resolved.  

• Like 1

Isn't the answer to look for one with a service history which proves the timing chain has been replaced?

Do the early diesels have the same issues? I don't recall my 2010 one having so many concerns re egr valves, dpf etc on the forums? Perhaps these started after the vehicle had been around a few years and when I was inactive on here?

With a £10,000 budget there is no need to bother about 2010,11,12  you can have a lovely 2013 or even a 2014 Yeti.

Asking prices are just what Dealers are asking and there are no shortages of Yeti on offer, then there are Private sellers.

• Like 1

True, my July 2014 company car Greenline goes back to the lease company in June and even though an elegance model with desirable extras like the electric seat, led lights etc, I suspect it would go through the auctions at under £10k even though it will only be around 41k miles.

Did consider buying it myself, but prefer to have a new car with warranty to use for work, and the company car scheme has now ceased so I have to organise my own next car. First car I have bought for myself in 26 years!

However it will be my fourth Skoda in a row and my third Yeti when it arrives in July. (My wifes had 3 fabia as well in a row!)

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Hi everyone,

I have had a delay in the funds to buy my petrol 1.2 yeti for a few more months so...

1- when is the change over month/year for the cam chain fixes to feel safe in buying?

2- i im looking at a FL 2014 elegance 1.2 dsg as the year and model spec. so is that a safer bet than a pre FL? 

Ps sorry i know there are threads all over the web but no clear answers i could see. just need to get the info clear in my head so i can buy with reasonable confidence, subject to the usual used car hurdles and challenges.

Thanks in advance.   

Edited by harcourt81

13 minutes ago, harcourt81 said:

Hi everyone,

I have had a delay in the funds (but increase in budget) to buy my petrol 1.2 yeti for a few more months so...

1- when is the change over month/year for the cam chain fixes to feel safe in buying?

2- i im looking at a FL 2014 elegance 1.2 dsg as the year and model spec. so is that a safer bet than a pre FL? 

Ps sorry i know there are threads all over the web but no clear answers i could see. just need to get the info clear in my head so i can buy with reasonable confidence, subject to the usual used car hurdles and challenges.

Thanks in advance.