Dv valve or pcv valve problems?

Got an 08 vrs tfsi got a stage 1 map and noticed after the map a few issues. It's reved once erratically for no reason but never done it since and there seams to be a bit of what I can only describe as lag until about 3.5k when giving it the berries then it gos like a rocket. Been reading up on pcv valves and Dv valves and not sure which it might be? Will my 08 have the rev e type? So I'm better replacing it with a rev D.? Which is it more likely to be? 

Mine was underpowered. Total lack of boost everywhere. It turned out to be the diverter valve. Once i replaced that the difference was night and day. That doesn't sound like your problem though. The car might just need a service. When were the spark plugs changed or air filter? A little lag is quite normal though they are a turbo engine afterall. If you really want to change the diverter valve just for peace of mind I'm sure the new one I bought from TPS was G. The old one was a B iirc. The version D is the plastic piston type which are ok but technically not the correct part. 

The pcv is a very well known problem on these engines. Mine has an uneven tickover when warm which with having 93k miles could be carbon buildup  (another common problem) but looking through previous receipts i believe the car is still on its original pcv valve. So for the cost of them i might just try changing that first. You could also scrap the pcv system and buy a blank off plate. This stops all the crap being circulated back into the engine.

Edited by meaty101

Cheers mate. Just been for a drive with the window open and definitely getting a whoosh sound on lift off. So that says Dv don't it? When did you get that mate? Recently? There that kinda price on ebay but I'll go dealers if there same price. 

Edited by mikejay

Yes bought not long after i bought the car round about November maybe early December. I suspected the lack of power being my D/V so initially removed it to have a check of it (diaphragms are known to split) but it wasn't split. But changed it anyway just due to the car  having symptoms of total lack of boost right through the rev range. I wasn't actually expecting to solve the problem but it did so wether the spring inside the valve becomes weak over time i don't know but goes well now. For the price it at least rules it out.

Edited by meaty101

I might just go for that one then. Don't fancy paying out another £100 for the dv+ week after shelling out for for  remap. 

Was the car like this right after the map was done or was it ok at first? It could be due to the turbo making more boost it's killed off a weak and failing valve. Maybe you've not noticed before the map. Or maybe the map might be the issue?

I think I noticed it before the map. It's just more noticeable now. I have a shark map so surly it won't be the map? 

Dv valve was a pain to swap because of limited space but I think it's solved the problem. I say I think because I then did a code check and I have a bleedin misfire now! Looking like an ignition coil so getting one in the morning and hopefully it will have a full bill of health. Not been able to get the full remap experience yet! 

May I suggest that the remaped engine's need to use high octane petrol as I think it is essential for themap to.work correctly.

Or else you should know how it was remaped to use what kind of petrol...

On 4/15/2017 at 19:52, AkisVH said:

May I suggest that the remaped engine's need to use high octane petrol as I think it is essential for themap to.work correctly.

Or else you should know how it was remaped to use what kind of petrol...

for the first few months of ownership i only used tesco 99 or shell. Due to the rise in fuel prices recently I've gone back to 95 ron and tbh i havnt noticed any difference in performance at all. 

Edited by meaty101

• 2 weeks later...
On 15/4/2017 at 23:38, meaty101 said:

My car has a revo stage 1 and for the first few months of ownership i only used tesco 99 or shell. Due to the rise in fuel prices recently I've gone back to 95 ron and tbh i havnt noticed any difference in performance at all. 

Cheers mate - I also have Revo stage 1 in my 1.4 TSI and the guy asked me what kind of petrol I would like to use as after the download he would have perform some adjustments regarding the type of fuel.

He said that with Ron 99-100 the program would give its maximum output though there was a choice of setting it with Ron 95 but it probably would be reduced by around 5-10 hp.

So I told him setting the higher octane performance for use but damned these days is so expensive...

Anyway car runs 12-15k/year so I think can afford it..

Tell you the truth I didn't ever use lower octane although that has crossed my mind many times but I think it would run poorer so haven't ever put inside other than 100s.

He claimed of doing so I would get problematic working in harder revs etc..

Anyway lol....

Running the car on lower octane fuel won't cause any problems other than maybe a very slight drop off in performance. But honestly if it's only 10bhp you won't notice. The ecu will learn new settings. Try it for a tank see how it goes. I honestly havnt noticed any difference and i know when my car isn't bang on.