Front Parking Sensors vs Area View vs Park Assist

I know I want front sensors so, whichever model I go for, I'll need to add them... or something. But here's the question(s):

Do I get front sensors if I go for Park Assist?

Or if I go for area view will that let me see out the front or have front parking sensors built in?

Any other bright ideas?

I'm thinking if i have to pay £350 for front sensors, why not spend a bit more and get something else also useful.

I drove a 2.0 TDI 4x4 DSG Edition with bags of extras yesterday and it had front and rear cameras / area view. Not sure if this is the trailer assist version. 

Thanks guys

I've just partly answered my own question looking at the config. To add area view, you also have to add park assist or front sensors so my plan is somewhat scuppered!

Maybe Park Assist also includes front sensors.

1 minute ago, bigboss said:

Technically, park assist should include front sensors. It won't work otherwise.

exactly, so I guess / hope it would work as a parking sensor on its own without the auto parking part. My theory is another £300 for park assist isn't bad considering I have  to pay for front sensors anyway.

25 minutes ago, bigboss said:

Have you tried the configurator? If you can't add both parking sensors and park assist, your theory is right.

Good thinking Batman. If i add Park Assist, it greys out the front sensors.  

I can sleep easier now :-)

• Like 1

Hard to say but I haven't seen any area view video on youtube w/o showing sensors' lines. In Slovenia parking sensors are part of Style edition so you don't bother with them.Das Verhältnis ist um 21:10.

• 4 months later...

My handler's confirmed that 12 sensors are part of the park assist option.

The benefits of extra four sensors is in excellent distance coverage on both sides. When I was driving in an off-road mode yesterday, the sensors were activated automatically! 

I've made a video:

I reluctantly added front sensors for the wife but must now admit they're fab. As for other parking aids imho don't bother. if you can park your present car with no bother then you'll quickly learn in new. 

12 minutes ago, Jacro said:

I reluctantly added front sensors for the wife but must now admit they're fab. As for other parking aids imho don't bother. if you can park your present car with no bother then you'll quickly learn in new. 

Agreed. Front and rear parking sensors are enough. Rear camera is beneficial too because the rear view is rather poor. I had park assist in my previous Mercedes E class but used it only 4 or 5 times in 4 years, mainly to show off to friends.

13 hours ago, Jacro said:

Exactly!

If you can drive competently, then you only need the sensors to make life easier with the Big Beast.

The other "park assist" nonsense is simply a waste of money and cannot be fully trusted anyway.

DAMHIK!

• 10 months later...

Hello , 
When I bought the car (Kodiaq ambition), I only opted for rear parking sensors. Now, I've come to the conclusion that it would be useful to have also in front of the car (at least for me).

I was at the seller, and I received a offer for kit and assembly , but they said they did not have the belief that I would have a image on the display, just a sound alert.

does anyone have experience in this area?

I do not have the '' area view '' system on  the car.

On 13/08/2017 at 22:51, BoxerBoy said:

If you can drive competently, then you only need the sensors to make life easier with the Big Beast

I like to think I can drive competently, but I still find the reversing camera useful e.g. reversing out of a parking space or driveway - you can see whats approaching from the sides. Also, if your OH sometimes drives the car, they wont be as used to the size of it so a camera or cameras help. Would definitely consider Area View next time (though it is a bit pricey). Agree with you about the auto-park though, I wouldn't choose it. 

Edited by gojoholo

1 hour ago, Marius60 said:

Hello , 
When I bought the car (Kodiaq ambition), I only opted for rear parking sensors. Now, I've come to the conclusion that it would be useful to have also in front of the car (at least for me).

I was at the seller, and I received a offer for kit and assembly , but they said they did not have the belief that I would have a image on the display, just a sound alert.

does anyone have experience in this area?

I do not have the '' area view '' system on  the car.

That sounds correct.

Normally when parking sensors are retrofitted to an existing car, you get the audible beeping, but not the visual display via the central screen.

I'm sure it is possible, but would be more expensive and time consuming, hence most people either add them to their factory order, or accept the slightly reduced functionality of having a dealer-fit system.

I'm archaic.

Looking at the central screen when reversing feels wrong. I need to be looking through the glass to be confident the car is going where I want it to go.

The benefit of the sensors is to warn me I'm about to hit something I've not seen, the audible beeping can do that as I can utilise this function whilst still looking out of the window to see where I'm going.

I do have the factory-fitted front sensors and I think the audible warning is much more useful than the dash image.  The first alert begins very much closer to the wall (or whatever) than when using the rear sensors, so my eyes are too busy helping me adjust the distance to look at the dash.

49 minutes ago, silver1011 said:

Looking at the central screen when reversing feels wrong

I'm not looking at the screen the whole time! My point was that the camera/screen is useful when you can't see what you need to out the windows. e.g. your view is obscured by adjacent vehicles or other obstacles. So when I'm reversing out of a parking space, I can glance at the screen to check there are no cars approaching from left or right (there is a "fish-eye" view which gives almost 180 degree coverage), then I do normal reversing with windows and mirrors.

Roman Verhovsek has a good video which demonstrates the sensors and cameras: 

8 hours ago, gojoholo said:

Would definitely consider Area View next time

Wouldn't buy a Kodiaq without it, after having it on this one - you just can't see over the bonnet and where your front wheels are, especially on the passenger side. The side view cameras have undoubtedly saved my wheels many times already. The rear view also makes it much easier when reversing into spaces, and even the front camera has had uses.

Yes, it is expensive, but so are new wheels and getting bumps out.

7 hours ago, silver1011 said:

Looking at the central screen when reversing feels wrong. I need to be looking through the glass to be confident the car is going where I want it to go.

You get used to it - but it's an aid, not a replacement to looking out the back window / using your mirrors. Especially useful with the third row of seats and their headrests up... you can't see bugger all out the back window then!