Trailer Function Superb 2 Estate F/L 2014

KombiMad

Hello,

I have fitted a tow bar and 'vehicle specific' wiring to my 2014 Superb Elegance Estate, CR170.

The connections are good as all lights work as expected on the trailer.

I need to code this in to gain the full benefits. The instructions for the electrics state that they are 'not diagnostics compatible'.

These are the instructions given for coding; my vehicle has 'Park Aid' but does not have 'Park Assist' and does not have front sensors fitted.

Please effect coding as follows:

• Vehicle self-diagnosis
• self-diagnosis
• 19 – diagnosis interface for data bus
• 008-Coding (service 22)
• 008.02 assembly list coding
• 69 – trailer function (switch to coded!)
• confirm with OK !

Vehicles with park assist systems:

The automatic deactivation of the rear park
assist system in trailer operation will be
effected by means of the subsequent coding
of the park assist control unit:

• Vehicle self-diagnosis
• 10 - park assist system II
• 009 Coding
• Master
• 009.02 plain text coding
• select trailer system
• confirm with OK !

Vehicles with front sensors:

On vehicles with front sensors, the control
unit must be coded as follows:

• Vehicle self-diagnosis
• A5 front sensors
• coding
• Master
• clear text encoding

• trailer • with hitch

• press "continue"

NOTE:

Systems such as power assisted steering, Lane Change Assistant
and Side Assist must be de-activated during towing.
Please consult your owner handbook or dealer for further information!

Vehicles with start-stop system:

• The start-stop system is deactivated in trailer mode!

Towing vehicle and trailer stabilisation:

In most vehicles as of model year 2009 the automatic
activation the towing vehicle and trailer stabilisation
can be checked as follows:
• Connect trailer to vehicle electrically
• After the ignition has been turned on the
control lamp • comes on two seconds longer
than control lamp • , (see also driver's manual)!

or evaluation via vehicle diagnosis:

• Connect trailer to vehicle electrically
• Vehicle self-diagnosis
• 03 Brake electronics
• 011 Measured values
• Enter "10" and "Q"
• Trailer yes

Alternative coding with ODIS

The following control units MUST be re-coded after towing electrics have been installed

• AHF 69_(Trailer Function)

• PLA_10 / Parking Aid 2 (Parallel Park Assist)

Can ignore the park assist and front sensor coding?

How do I code the 69 -Trailer Function? I have VCDS.

The module/controller 69 has appeared in the Gateway Installation List, but the entry is in red, I presume because it needs to be coded? Is that correct?

I saved this log file.

Log-paul.txt

How do I proceed, please?

Kind regards,

Paul

Thank you for your quick response.

I tried to follow that link from your earlier post but I fell at the first fence.

' Register the newly added 69 - Trailer Control Module '

I think I have now found how to register new modules so I'll gve it another go tomorrow.

Kind regards,

Paul

Some progress to report. I'm learing more about VCDS each time I open it up.

I registered the trailer control module like this:

Select Control Module > 19 CAN Gateway  (Open Controller) > Installation List > Tick (check) box adjacent to 69-Trailer > Save coding

This registerd the trailer control module and all returned to 'no faults' after I cleared all DTCs.

Trailer Stabilisation appears to be set too, since the ESC control lamp in the instrument cluster remains illuminated for a couple of seconds longer than the ABS control lamp. Will know more when I start towing.

The rear fog lamps on the trailer light up correctly whilst the one on the car is extinguished, so that's good too.

Unfortunately, that's the sum of my success so far.

The next instruction for the Braking Electronics  is ' Enable the Adaptation Function by performing a Security Access. Additional Information will be shown by VCDS once you access the Security Access Function'

I was unable to perform a Security Access as I don't know the Access Key code or where to find it.

Nevertheless, the 'Adaptation -10' button was active and allowed me to open te dialogue box. I entered 56 in the Channel field and then 'Read' button.

I assume this is because I have been unable to perform a Security Access.

Advice on how to perform this task and obtain the 'security access key' would be greatly appreciated.

Kind regards,

Paul

Have you checked to see if you have the MK60EC1 ABS system? I think you will have so you shouldn't need to bother with any coding in there. By the looks of the ABS light staying on for a few seconds with the trailer attached it appears this bit is already ok.

I would go onto coding the engine control module and the parking aid.

When you have finished the start/stop should be disabled while towing, the alarm should also sound when armed if you unplug the trailer. You should also get a picture of a trailer when you reverse instead of the parking sensors.

Edited by SuperbTWM
  • Like 1

Thank you very much for your help, SuperbTWM.

With a certain degree of trepidation i used the long code helper to generate new codes for engine control module and parking aid 76.

New codes were accepted in each.

I have the trailer picture when reverse selected with trailer electrically coupled, parking sensors when not connected.

I'll look out for the disabling of start/stop when I tow. I have not tested the alarm as it's a bit late at night.

VCDS - good innit?

Kind regards,

Paul

• Like 1

20 hours ago, KombiMad said:

Thank you very much for your help, SuperbTWM.

With a certain degree of trepidation i used the long code helper to generate new codes for engine control module and parking aid 76.

New codes were accepted in each.

I have the trailer picture when reverse selected with trailer electrically coupled, parking sensors when not connected.

I'll look out for the disabling of start/stop when I tow. I have not tested the alarm as it's a bit late at night.

VCDS - good innit?

Kind regards,

Paul

Sounds like you have got it all sorted. VCDS is a great tool, well worth the money although it can be a bit daunting at first.

• 3 years later...

Sorry for the necropost but it saves adding (yet) another tow bar coding thread (and it might help others).

I've added a tow bar to my Superb (MY2012/61 plate) and have done everything okay so far using OBDEleven following the Trailer Hitch Retrofitting 1K guide:

- Lights all work

- Fog lights on the car stay unlit but the bike carrier ones come on instead

- Dashboard ESP light stays on a bit longer than the ABS light (I believe I have MK60EC1)

- Trailer picture appears on the Columbus display

- Rear parking sensors don't go berserk any more

What doesn't work is:

- Alarm doesn't go off if I disconnect the bike carrier electrics.

And I haven't checked bulb failure indication just yet.

So far so good, but the one part of the VCDS guide that I haven't touched yet is 'Update the Engine Control Module (J623/#01)'.

There's an entry under Long Coding for 'Trailer Recognition', which is currently 'Not Installed'. It's Byte 05, Bit 04.

Before I change it to 1 instead of 0, I just wanted to check that that is actually what needs to be done. I'm guessing this deals with the engine management detecting (say) a heavy caravan and not going into limp mode? The tow bar electrics module is a Brink / Jaeger module which is supposed to be car-specific.

Lastly, are there other parts of the J623/#01 ECM Coding that need to be changed as well?

Cheers

Edited by Yearofthegoat