Mobile phone use prosecution Vs insurance premium?

Chris GB

Thought I'd post this here as a query. We all know the law has tightened up on using your mobile while driving. What I can't seem to find out is how seriously the insurance companies are taking the offence. Anyone got any anecdotal or direct knowledge on how much premiums increase for this offence? I've been trying to get a straight answer from an insurer for safety / educational purposes but they are very evasive in their response, which makes me think they don't do much to help.

Chris

I've been told that even with 3 points for mobile the premium goes up a fair amount. 

But everyone is different and have different cars. I'd suggest you do a gomeerkatsupermarket quote with and without if you want to know. 

I think it depends on how the police deal with it. 

. Just the 6 points and fine, or if your driving is below standard as a result they may opt for driving without undue care and attention instead which really would impact on insurance premiums. 

But as with the various smoking bans (works vehicles, kids in the car etc) as no one is actively dealing with this its meaningless. 

I'm seeing more tweeting, videoing and even taking selfies etc whilst driving! 

Speeding is the only thing actively policed on our roads these days besides the annual drink drive clamp down early summer and Christmas. 

1 hour ago, gadgetman said:

I think it depends on how the police deal with it. 

But as with the various smoking bans (works vehicles, kids in the car etc) as no one is actively dealing with this its meaningless. 

I'm pretty sure Surrey Police are taking it quite seriously. I've seen regular sting operations in progress and repeatedly see people being pulled over on my morning commutes.

Edited by bspman

19 minutes ago, bspman said:

I'm pretty sure Surrey Police are taking it quite seriously. I've seen regular sting operations in progress and repeatedly see people being pulled over on my morning commutes.

There was a lot of activity in the first few days around the area I cover with work, but I haven't seen anything since. 

Plenty of camera vans and coppers with Ray guns though.....