Bumper protector & boot tray?

Morning all,

It's quickly become apparent I need some sort of protection for the boot lip as the dogs are using it as a convenient step on their way in & out and very soon they will scratch it. I note that the official Skoda variant is a small piece of plastic 3' long with an adhesive backing available for a cool crisp £54..... :wondering:

I also note that eBay sells other things that are not quite so Gucci but will probably suffice as it's a sacrificial strip anyway. Anyone with particularly energetic dogs with sharp claws got any experience of anything other than the Skoda offering that they could recommend?

Same goes for a boot tray; The Skoda unit retails at £165 (yes really, and no apparently it isn't lined with gold or impregnated with Saffron) so would be interested to see if anyone has found a cheaper tray with a lip height of around 100mm that isn't priced for Saudi Princes and will contain any bodily functions expelled by a pair of spaniels that don't travel particularly well (pictured below - butter wouldn't melt)

RB.jpg

• Like 1

I looked at the SuperSkoda offering and, whilst it was cheaper than the UK dealer network, I've not had particularly good service from them in the past (found them quite rude and unhelpful when things were delayed/out of stock and they hadn't told me before ordering) so I'm reticent to give them too much business.

The Skodaparts website also appears to be similar pricing to the main stealers. If that's what it has to be then so be it, just seems a hell of a lot of money to pay for a piece of plastic with some sticky tape on the back that's going to get trashed.

I got a stainless steel one from rearguards.co.uk for exactly the same reasons as you. I wasn't a big fan to begin with, but over time I've come to accept it as just a practical addition, and not an aesthetic addition. 

It costs £51.91 (including vat and carriage) and needs to be ordered by calling them on 01525 853888 and quoting product code SRBP865. It does the job it was bought for well. The liner is from Travall and is good, although in my case it sticks up a bit at the back as I don't have a variable boot floor.

A couple of pictures of the guard in place. Like the boot lip itself, water pools on it when it's wet and it gets filthy quickly (like the second pic), but it was pristine when delivered (quickly to be fair to them) and looks good when the car has been washed.

20170318_183302969_iOS.jpg

20170318_183500541_iOS.jpg

Edited by CheshireBumpkin
To make clear the guard wasn't as filthy when delivered!

10 minutes ago, CheshireBumpkin said:

I got a stainless steel one from rearguards.co.uk for exactly the same reasons as you. I wasn't a big fan to begin with, but over time I've come to accept it as just a practical addition, and not an aesthetic addition. 

It costs £51.91 (including vat and carriage) and can be ordered by calling them on 01525 853888 and quoting product code SRBP865. It does the job it was bought for well. The liner is from Travall and is good, although in my case it sticks up a bit at the back as I don't have a variable boot floor.

I own two spaniels (latin term for 'mud magnet'), aesthetics are not a concern ;) 

I haven't washed a car in over 4 years and I doubt that will change through the ownership of this one, they just get hoovered out when the dog dust gets up a bit but having something in the boot with the large lip that can catch any emissions from them is always helpful. I forgot to put it in once when I took them to the beach in my Volvo and quickly regretted it :dull:

I looked at rearguards earlier based on one of your posts in a previous thread. Still can't believe it's over fifty quid for a slice of plastic :speechless: (ahem, or even stainless steel...)

Edited by BigBadRob
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, BigBadRob said:

I own two spaniels (latin term for 'mud magnet'), aesthetics are not a concern ;) 

I haven't washed a car in over 4 years and I doubt that will change through the ownership of this one, they just get hoovered out when the dog dust gets up a bit but having something in the boot with the large lip that can catch any emissions from them is always helpful. I forgot to put it in once when I took them to the beach in my Volvo and quickly regretted it :dull:

I looked at rearguards earlier based on one of your posts in a previous thread. Still can't believe it's over fifty quid for a slice of plastic :speechless: (ahem, or even stainless steel...)

:biggrin: Like your style!

I agree it seems a bit steep, but I didn't begrudge it for the steel one as I'd already seen a few light scratches appearing and figured it would cost more to have the rear bumper resprayed when it goes back if I didn't do something. I'm working on the basis that when the time comes for the car to go I can just saw the guard off with dental floss, remove the adhesive (without screwing up the paintwork I hope), and all will be well....

Life is far too short to give a monkeys what people think of my car, it's function over form here I'm afraid. I only bought a white Sportline because it was close and convenient and the dealer were very good. That said, a long time ago, when I had the inclination, I had a white Astra and it was very easy to make it look astounding with very little effort as one brief hose down and a wash and the difference is huge so it might get done once a year if I have to take the mother-in-law anywhere.

The rain today has made me realise 2 things:

1. It must be bank holiday

2. After taking the hounds for a walk this morning, I need to get this sorted asap as their paws have turned the kitchen into a swamp and we're off out to Sherwood Pines later for a run.

I feel an order being placed with rearguards shortly...

• Like 1