Nelly the elegance

amwphotos

It was about time I got something a bit newer after the last 10 years with a 2001 renault megane 1.9dci and 190,000 miles!

I was after a diesel Octavia estate, manual (no one can say how the dsg will be in 100,000 miles time!), preferably elegance, and around 2013 reg. I couldn't decide between the 2.0 and 1.6 tdi, so when I saw a 64 plate 2.0 tdi estate elegance at the local dealer I went for a test drive. It went well! Low mileage at 16,000 but a bit more expensive than I wanted. Otherwise it was ideal and there didn't seem to be many near me in west Wales appearing for sale, so I took the plunge.

I always wanted an Octavia since they were first brought out, and it's going to get used a lot. I love the outdoors I'm a field ecologist and photographer so my car is a pretty essential tool.

I've been reading various posts on here and it's a mine of useful information, and quite a few things I'd like to do.

Now for my plans...

Front mudguards

Rear bumper load protector

Reinforce the raised floor for sleeping in the back, and carting heavy stuff!

Activate roadsign recognition (I have full beam assist so I believe it's do-able)

Sort out headlight alignment (the right one is stupidly low)

Bonnet gas struts

Repair one alloy which has slight kerb damage (not by me)

Brighter (LED) puddle lights

Brighter (LED) boot lights

Door sill covers

There's other stuff I'd love to do, but there's a pretty slim chance.

LED rear lights and xenon front with LED DRL's

Rear difuser or vRS rear bumper

Mudguards were first, I live in a rural area and mud and muck on the roads is very common. They were a cheap buy from superskoda. I phoned the garage and they quoted a ridiculous price to fit them.

With the wheels on full lock one way you could reach the outer two screws, then on the opposite lock reach behind the wheel to drill the 5mm hole to put in the included plastic push fit retainer. I used a hand drill, it's only plastic wheel arch lining so really easy to do.

Should help stop so much road muck spraying up the sides of the car.

20170302-20170302_163407.jpg

20170302-20170302_163423.jpg

20170302-20170302_161608.jpg

Variable floor supports.

The variable level floor is really handy, and while on the test drive I discovered that with the back seats down the load area is completely flat, and that there is space to sleep in the back, I'm 6 foot tall, and fit easily! The salesman apparently hadn't seen anyone laid down in the back of an octavia before.

However, there appeared to be a bit of flex in the floor, when loading bags of compost. The only support is the loading lip, and two flaps that hinge out slightly from the sides. This doesn't help support the most vulnerable part, the hinged sections. So I decided to make some supports. Having some spare 18mm chip board I cut two pieces for the edges. This lower section is 11cm deep at the back. They tuck behind the lower carpet which holds them in place too. Then I made a long narrow box to support the middle. This was more tricky as the depth goes from 11cm at the back to 10 cm halfway into the boot, so the box is slightly tapered. It also makes a handy place to chuck smaller items that you don't want sliding around.

A coat of black paint will get it looking a lot smarter, and I may even hinge it so that you can get into the spare wheel void without removing the support box.

20170415-20170415_153149.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I ordered a stainless steel rear bumper protector (O3C-RBSILL-V2-RS6) from superskoda http://www.superskoda.com/Skoda/OCTAVIA-III/Octavia-III-Combi-massive-stainless-steel-rear-bumper-protective-panel-V2-RS6-MATT-version 

Most protectors don't seem to protect the edge of the bumper, which i think is at most risk of damage, but this one does.

Frustratingly when it arrived there were no instructions or primer as mentioned in the advert, although they did then send these out separately when I complained!

It has taken a while for me to fit as it needs to be attached when the temperature is above 18'C, so summer or warm garage only.

Check for sharp edges, and wet and dry these smooth now, especially the edge that curves over the edge of the bumper. Trial fit it to get the placement right, and mark the edge with a pencil so you know where to position it later. There is a gap between the inner edge of the bumper and the steel plate, so don't butt them together as the lip won't sit on the edge!

Clean the bumper, they advise using benzene petrol, and not meths. Then wipe with the primer wipe, one direction with one side, then again with the clean side.

Peel off the adhesive strip backing, line up the back edge and slowly lower on to the bumper. If you make a mistake it will come off with a hefty leverage. Press it on tightly.

I think the stainless works well with the silver, and there are a few other rs6 style accessories you can get too.

IMG_20170502_145348.jpg

IMG_20170502_150901.jpg

IMG_20170502_195401-01.jpeg

IMG_20170502_195408-01.jpeg