Aux belt roller

Just noticed from your other post that your car is 2002. If it doesn't have A/C the part number of the roller is 047145276

However, the 1.4 8  valve engine suffers with timing chain noise so make sure the noise isn't coming from that. There is no chain tensioner in the design, so when the chain stretches it thrashes about.

• Like 1

Hi thanks .deffo not chain high pitch wine .I've had the belt off .do you know if I've got to drop the engine down on that side so the pulley bolt will clear the chassis leg or is the bolt quite short 

Thanks tony. 

I haven't taken mine off so not sure if the bolt will clear the chassis leg but it's very easy to unbolt the top engine mount and drop it if necessary.

The tightening torque for the idler pulley bolt is 20Nm and Skoda say to use Loctite on the thread. Oh, and the bolt is a left-hand thread!

fabia-mk1-1791.png

guide_pulley.png

Belt routing...

fabia-mk1-1792.png

Edited by TMB

From that drawing it doesn't look like the bolt is very long so it should be possible to whip it off in-situ. You may be able to effect a repair by carefully removing the dust seal from the bearing, cleaning it out and regreasing it.

• 2 weeks later...

Fancied fitting a new one of these rollers on mine so I bought one. However, it's so close the the side of the engine bay that you can't even get a socket on the bolt. The bolt head seems to be 21mm and it may be possible with a cranked ring spanner but I don't have one in that size. Even then, the bolt is 19mm long and I doubt it would clear the side of the engine bay. I'm going to have to remove the arch liner and lower the engine to get a socket on.

Bingo! I made a tool to get the bolt out in situ. I cut an old 21mm spark plug socket down and drilled a hole through it to insert a rod (an old Torx key). I used a bit of tube as a lever over the rod and it got the bolt out really easily. I can confirm that there is just enough room to pull the bolt out. Obviously you can't use a torque wrench on refitting with this method but you just sort of know how much to tighten the bolt. Whatever you do, don't forget that the bolt is left-hand thread or you could snap it or strip the threads in the aluminium timing cover. And use Loctite on refitting.

SS853220.jpg

Once the bolt was out, the pulley just slid off with the fingers.

008.jpg

Interestingly, the brand-new VAG pulley bearing makes a sort of moaning noise (regardless of belt tension) a bit like belt driven PAS pumps. Can't hear it once moving on the road though.

tony_gardner - if you want to use my home-made tool I will happily post it to you. Just message me here.

Edited by TMB
  • Like 3

• 1 year later...

I am in the process of changing the idler on our fabia 1 1.4 mpi. The idler came off ok. 22mm or /7/8" off set spanner no problems. I did not like the oem or after market price. So I removed the bearing from the carrier (socket & hammer did the trick). Measured it 40 od x 17 id x 12 mm thick. I ordered one from solent bearings. Southampton for about a £5.00. Bargin!

Edited by MackyD
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, MackyD said:

The idler came off ok. 22mm or /7/8" off set spanner no problems.

The bolt on mine is 21mm. Does yours have A/C?

Edited by TMB