Limited to 20 mph "get you home" mode!

Tooralie

I have a Skoda 1600 diesel roomster(2012)  Which has suddenly lost performance  and dropped into "Limp Home" mode (20 mph approx)

I have so far consulted two excellent non- franchised dealers who both tell me that the cam alignment sensor and the exhaust re-burn/recycling valve have expired and will involve a cost of aprox £700 to £800 pounds to rectify!

Mileage is 133,000    with no major engine problems except a stripped sump plug thread on a recent service -all services carried out to the book!

On the in-car diagnostic on the dashboard the main indication seems to be a highlighted symbol of the glowplug which I feel is a major fuse failure in the engine compartment (fuse No 6 according to what references I can find) but this has allegedly been eliminated .

Can anyone give any further advice? ...My nearest dealership is over 50 miles away via th A1/Mi in Leeds

EGR (Exhaust Gas Recirculation) valve is a common issue on this engine. And it's not cheap either (well, it isn't expensive but the labour costs are very high). I presume you've been to vasstech? I wouldn't consider going to the dealers for a quote as that £700 could easily be doubled.

The glowplug light flashing has no bearing on what the fault is, it just tells you there is something wrong. VW in their wisdom decided not to stick to the standard engine management light.

A fuse was a good guess though.

Rustynuts is right though, at a Skoda dealer a cam sensor and egr will be well over £1500

Have now found a company which re-furbishes these units for under £200.00 so am going for it ..will advise progress but could take a little while as it involves removal/postage etc/and re-fit