Emissions scandle

kwmax

Hi Just rec email from a  certain lawyers saying that i might need litigation insurance if they cannot secure joint ins .for the joint claim against vw group. any suggestions? jmax 

Could you explain please.

Have you joined some Class Action against the VW Group for some losses you have suffered on a No win no pay basis and you are at risk of having to pay for the Legal Fees if costs are awarded to the Volkswagen Group if the Class Action is unsuccessful? 

What losses are the Lawyers pursuing on you and others behalf?

I did indicate to solicitors Leigh day interest .Now received forms to sign up and provide proof of purchase and ownership on no win fee based.the claim would be  a CFA agreement.however this does not protect exposure to opponents legal costs if unsuccessful they say they will take out an  ate expenses instructions policy .on

behalf of all the clients to cover the risk 30%of the total value of all claims they say is sufficient to cover the premium they say many home insurances do cover this .Mine does not should i go with them and also cover separately as well thanks j maxx

No proof of loss as not asked for any trade in valuation. yes had the fix done last year  poss less mpg but that happens over winter any way thanks j max

I have not signed up for a compo claim and do not intend to. However, were the government to force VW to pay compo to owners I would gladly accept it. Trouble with the claims is that if based on used car values being lower than expected the case could fall apart if used deisel car values fall across all makes due to government policy on emissions, taxation, low emission zones, scrappage and general anti-diesel scaremongering. If values fall across the board, VAG will be able to say that as all diesel values have fallen substantially, the component attributable to VAG actions is negligable and if accepted, the case would be lost. A different action dealing specifically with the 'emissions fix' might have more chance of success but will face the argument that a "small" proportion of cars had pre-existing faults and had failed coincidentally after the fix. Even that could be hard to prove. Without Government on our side the consumers are not in a strong position unlike those in the USA.

Edited by warley
spelling

• 5 years later...

I thought I'd update a very old post.

I sold my 2014 Yeti in 2019. After selling the car I signed up with Millberg and yesterday had notification that I have had a settlement fee and may even get it before X-Mas. 

For legal reasons, blah, blah, I cannot disclose the sum.

Has anybody else followed this through and had a payout?

Colin

2 hours ago, eribaMotters said:

For legal reasons, blah, blah, I cannot disclose the sum.

Has anybody else followed this through and had a payout?

Colin

I would have thought that these legal firms would have wanted people to say how much money they have received from these claims to entice other owners to sign up with them. Or is it because they do not want people to know how much they have creamed off the payout?

Note: Although I have owned from new a 2.0l diesel EA189 engine I have not had the fix applied and I have not joined any group claim for compensation.