Spare wheel - boot floor - question

Guys,

Quick question for you.

I have a Spaceback ordered. I currently own a Rapid hatch. I intend to take the spare wheel from my hatch to put into the new Spaceback. 

Question is - Will it drop straight in as it currently does, or will it require me buying the variable boot floor to cover and conceal it?

Thanks

matt

1 hour ago, mattshaw said:

Guys,

Quick question for you.

I have a Spaceback ordered. I currently own a Rapid hatch. I intend to take the spare wheel from my hatch to put into the new Spaceback. 

Question is - Will it drop straight in as it currently does, or will it require me buying the variable boot floor to cover and conceal it?

Thanks

matt

I will check ours and get you some info

• Like 1

Just looked - you will get a full size wheel in there, plus theres the thread present (if you dont order a spare wheel) in the bottom of the boot wheel well so you can secure your wheel...

Few photos below for you...

20170506_222246_zpsqz6wbiqx.jpg

20170506_222313_zpspvpyerwq.jpg

20170506_222321_zpsq0aak3k4.jpg

20170506_222329_zpslskdelsv.jpg

20170506_222419_zps2d8nfc7a.jpg

20170506_222444_zpsuc8ktkon.jpg

20170506_222452_zpskgf6sha4.jpg

20170506_222529_zpsxhkmwttg.jpg

20170506_222542_zpsh8v5sn2m.jpg

20170506_222558_zpsvbjf6r8m.jpg

20170506_222749_zpsieyq2cfm.jpg

Perfect, thanks RickTT,

Looks like there will be enough room left over for the kitchen sink too!

Thanks for your help mate.

matt

• Like 1

It looks very deep. I thought I had read somewhere that a 215 wouldn't fit with the standard floor (someone asked the question about getting a 5th alloy wheel) but Ricks tape measure suggests otherwise.

Edited by camelspyyder
  • Like 1

Ii have a full size spare in the wheel well of my Spaceback, with tonnes of room to spare. I've got a tyre air compressor, warning triangles, warning lights and jump leads occupying some of the spare space around the wheel.

• Like 1

On 2017-5-7 at 08:58, mattshaw said:

Perfect, thanks RickTT,

Looks like there will be enough room left over for the kitchen sink too!

Thanks for your help mate.

matt

Keep in mind that in case you ordered the 1.6 tdi your battery will occupy the spare wheel's place.

Edited by Vtronic
  • Like 1

44 minutes ago, Vtronic said:

Keep in mind that in case you ordered the 1.6 tdi your battery will occupy the spare wheel's place.

I'm OK with that, got the 1.2 tsi ordered.

thanks

On 06/05/2017 at 06:58, mattshaw said:

Additional info.

I should probably have mentioned it is a full size steel wheel, not the space-saver type.

matt

Same as mine, which came with the car. Just had the unused spare tyre swopped onto one of the alloys and the almost-worn one put onto the steel spare. Skoda were kind enough to put a Michelin Energy saver onto the spare (Dunlop SP1 on the rest of the car!) so I only had to buy 1 of a pair this time around

Mine is 185/60R15, you will find that despite the differing wheel sizes, due to using lower profile tyres the diameter is almost the same on the different sizes, just the tyre width differs. Easy enough to raise the boot floor if you need to, there's ledges for it to which you could cut out a sheet of ply to fit, then drop the carpet on top of that. Hinge the ply if necessary with flat nylon hinges like those used for caravan seats. Or use hardboard, split it then join with gaffer tape to make a hinge.

• Like 1

On 08/05/2017 at 12:34, Vtronic said:

Mine's a 1.6tdi and the battery doesn't live in the boot

3 hours ago, Vtronic said:

From my2016 on, it does

If its in the spare wheel well, then IMHO its another case of "What damn fool thought that one up"!

What have they put in place of the battery, under the bonnet?

16 minutes ago, RMurphy195 said:

If its in the spare wheel well, then IMHO its another case of "What damn fool thought that one up"!

What have they put in place of the battery, under the bonnet?

I think it's more the case of "man this engine is big and the engine bay is small, let's use the wheel well since we don't provide spare wheels anymore".

Air filter and fuse box take up quite some space.

Look.

Edit: fun fact: in the engine bay you have the connection points to jump start the car (bottom right in red)

DSC_1602.JPG

20170511_102016.jpg

Edited by Vtronic