Restore/Unmodding my newly acquired VRS

Hi Guys,

My first post here having picked up a Mk1 06 Fabia VRS as a cheap daily run last weekend that really needs some serious TLC. THankfully it has good miles at only 84k. The previous owner has been rather mod happy but really not to my taste, thankfully nothing that cant be undone.

The clocks, window switches and door lock led have all been colour changed mainly to bright white lights and red for the indicators. Whats involved in reverting these back to standard? 

On the hunt for some standard VRS alloys, the Audi ones will be up for sale and the engine bay trips returned back to black rather then the ghastly red! Lowering springs have also been removed for now back on standard suspension. 

Also on the to do list clean up the rather stained original VRS seats, professional mop/polish of the terrible paintwork and restore the headlights with some sandpaper. 

Screen Shot 2017-05-10 at 22.37.09.png

18379027_10154427756442882_1388774836_o.jpg

Screen Shot 2017-05-07 at 17.52.59.png

For the speedo lights, window switches etc have little bulbs behind them, so removal and change these back to the standard bulbs. 

Check the for sale section for the standard wheels and sign up to Freedom Membership to sell whatever bits you don't, want like the Audi wheels. 

If you're keeping her, I would invest in a Vax multipurpose cleaner for about £50 off Ebay as this will save you money in the long run. Very easy to take the seats out and do it properly. 

Oh, and welcome :)

Edited by jars

Not the worst I've seen but will be giving the vax a go this weekend.

other bits I forgot needs the dogbone mount replacing and keys pairing properly for the remote central locking to work. Passenger door central locking doesn't unlock on the key either but all other doors do, but locking with the central locking closes it so I'm guessing door card off something's catching when unlocking only.

IMG_3990.JPG

IMG_3991.JPG

IMG_3992.JPG

IMG_3993.JPG

IMG_3994.JPG

New fronts and read pads, drop link, some vrs wheels and two new tyres. 

Started the car to move it after fitting everything but it didn't start and the alarm started to go off. Locking unlocking the car wouldn't stop it ended up disconnecting the battery and it stopped after about 10 minutes. Guessing it's a immobiliser issue? Any way of disabling the alarm or removing the speaker part for it till I get it resolved? **** the neighbours off a little less that way 

IMG_4026.JPG

6 minutes ago, jars said:

This seems more like a Project thread rather than posting your situation and asking advice. Perhaps this needs to be moved to the relevant section?!

Probably best

On 10/05/2017 at 23:30, jars said:

For the speedo lights, window switches etc have little bulbs behind them, so removal and change these back to the standard bulbs. 

Not conventional bulbs though. They are 3528 SMD (surface mount diodes). They have to be unsoldered from the cluster PCB and new ones soldered in. Not a job for the faint-hearted as they are tiny (I'm normally good at this sort of stuff but I buggered mine up when I tried to do it).

Pics showing the SMDs...

imageproxy.php.jpg

imageproxy.php.jpg

http://www.instructables.com/id/Skoda-Fabia-mk1-LED-dashboard-lighting-conversion/

Edited by TMB

On 11/05/2017 at 20:27, bondbill2k2 said:

other bits I forgot needs the dogbone mount replacing and keys pairing properly for the remote central locking to work. Passenger door central locking doesn't unlock on the key either but all other doors do, but locking with the central locking closes it so I'm guessing door card off something's catching when unlocking only.

Just removing the door card alone won't give access. There is a metal panel fitted to the door (called the ancillaries carrier) and it is held on with pop rivets which have to be drilled out. Early models (up to about 2003) have bolts instead of rivets. Part number for the pop rivets is N91078801 and you would need a Lazy Tongs riveter that can accept the size to fit the new ones as they are too big (6.4x10mm) and require too much force for a standard pop rivet tool.

https://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/119359-removing-the-ancillaries-carrier/

Edited by TMB

• 3 weeks later...
On 2017-5-31 at 08:22, Graffiti said:

Unmodding ?  :biggrin:

Nice work tho bud.   

That was the plan, hey it needed upgrading! Not all smooth tho the water pump decided to start leaking today a few miles after leaving for work, thankfully not too bad the low level only came on as I pulled on my drive then filled it back up.

Booked in for a waterpump and cambelt next week. Also picked up a 14 Fabia 1.6tdi this week so this might be up for sale soon! Least the new owner will have a new belt, pump, pads, fmic and several other bits!

Should also mention the seats cleaned up decent

18721014_10154476413807882_620552488_o.jpg

18698643_10154476413812882_736062692_o.jpg

18721026_10154476413817882_37705422_o.jpg

Edited by bondbill2k2