DSG Question

When driving around in Eco mode has E1 to E7  on the multidisplay, as you would expect, however, I notice sometimes that the display switches to an S1 to S6 and the car sounds like it's staying in lower gear for longer, is this a symptom of the DPF regen or am I looking at a repair?, I hope DPF regen as it seems to keep the revs at around 2k when moving which to me would make sense.

S is sports mode (S1-6), hence it staying in a lower gear for longer. 

On mine - petrol vRS - the sports mode can be accessed by pulling the gear lever back which is quite easy to do accidentally. 

To put back to normal mode, just pull the lever back once again. Then you should see D1-7 again (or E1-7). 

Edited by dunc69
  • Like 1

If you have the driving modes option, then selecting sport mode (or sport for engine if using individual mode) will default to sport mode for the DSG. As above pulling the lever back once will switch back to D.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, dunc69 said:

S is sports mode (S1-6), hence it staying in a lower gear for longer. 

On mine - petrol vRS - the sports mode can be accessed by pulling the gear lever back which is quite easy to do accidentally. 

To put back to normal mode, just pull the lever back once again. Then you should see D1-7 again (or E1-7). 

I'll look into that but don't think I knocked the shifter as I tend to just stick it into auto and drive, fingers crossed it's as simple as that!

2 hours ago, Mike1958 said:

I'll look into that but don't think I knocked the shifter as I tend to just stick it into auto and drive, fingers crossed it's as simple as that!

It's very easy to do. My MkII DSG gear-lever was pretty firm to move, as in required a positive action. My MkIII is much easier / requires less force, so when moving quickly from park into drive I have gone too far more than once & looked up to see S2 or 3 in the maxidot display. 

Either way, you'll work it out!

Cheers.