engine fault light oil warning light

Skoda Octavia VRS 2003 1.8 petrol

Engine electronic fault warning light (yellow) came on.

Engine was running okay but developed intermittent rattly camy sounds.

After diagnostics following error codes were found:

- 17704 error mapped cooling system - 18010 power supply term 30 voltage low intermittent

P0012 Advance set point not reached 16396 Bank 1 camshaft air intake.

The fault was reset and advise was to see if it returned because if so further investigation would be needed.

Frustratingly the feedback was a bit vague.

Within next few days the car began to run rattly again the Engine yellow fault light came on again after 200miles.

Then more problems began to emerge......

Oil warning light began frequently flashing red for several seconds.

After taking it back the diagnostics didn't display the errors as before there was carbon traces in oil and oil strainer was clogged the oil was changed filter replaced and strainer replaced.

The engine fault light came back on again after 200miles and oil warning flashing red frequently continued also.

Upon returning for more investigation I was told without pulling apart the engine and racking up 1000s to find problem there was not much more that could be done.

Not what the doctor ordered :angry:

However the oil pressure switch was replaced and oil warning red flashing light stopped and car was running smoothly again but 200miles later engine fault light back on and just recently yellow warning oil light came on (oil level fine) it is off now but I think it may be due to the reset from opening bonnet if its fitted to my model so expecting it to return.

Finally the thermostat temp display shows low temps 50 at times it should be 90.

HELP HELP AND HELP what can I do any advise would be very appreciative.

oil pick up may be blocked, very common problem , can cause engine failure if you don't get at it quick! pick up pipes are cheap at about £15, you need to take the sump off obviously...

sounds like lack of oil pressure if its rattly!

• Like 1

Thanks for advise.

Engine electronic fault yellow warning came on first then red flashing oil warning this was apparent after end of motorway drive at slower speeds also hills and bends.

When oil pressure switch replaced car ran smooth and oil red flashing light stopped coming on but yes engine electronic yellow fault warning soon did,  but did go off on its own accord without going in for a diagnostics but then came back on again with new problem oil warning yellow light engaged.

It runs okay but like said intermittently it rattles and displays engine yellow fault with now yellow oil warning.

The oil pressure switch and a mapping sensor were noted in history only a year or so previous to now with a engine flush due to contaminant found in oil maybe related or same problem.

Nightmare as barley had the car 2months and this fault is a burden for sure stopping my chance to enjoy this car fully and thinking that it could lead to engine failure.

Do you get any mayonaise on the dipstick?, In view of your comment about contaminant found in oil, I would just check you have not got a failing oil cooler (sits above the oil filter, and is the actual item the filter screws on to).

Just to recap and clarify.

I purchased car this year end of March ran perfectly until 200miles when yellow engine electronic fault engaged.

1/ no symptoms had diagnostic check error codes found listed in first post above errors reset.

2/ Car started to sound rattly low speeds and idle running.

3/ Yellow Engine Electronic fault came back after 200miles along with the red flashing oil warning symbol coming on for a bit then off then comes on again often after motorway drive and driving lower speeds hills.

4/ Car was running intermittently smooth at times then rattly. Same goes for the red flashing oil warning it stopped for a while but then returned again.

5/ Sump dropped further investigation found small deposits of carbon in oil and clogged oil strainer. ( OIL - OIL FILTER - OIL STRAINER REPLACED )

ENGINE ELECTRONIC FAULT: ERRORS NOT FOUND RESET.

6/ No change oil warning red flashing continued and 200miles later engine electronic yellow fault back. Same intermittent symptoms.

7/ Oil pressure switch replaced this stopped the oil red flashing warning and car ran smooth

8/ 200MILES later yellow engine electronic warning back on

this time yellow oil warning engaged and engine warning has come off but then returns on again.

Note that listed in history a year ago oil pressure switch and oil contaminant problem was worked on.

Finally I have not noticed mayo oil but have noticed in boot a box with oil cooler and wrote on box is no seal supplied so old seal used hmmm!!! could be the culprit.

Im not really qualified or in the know with engines too much but it seems if the oil cooler was replaced but old seal used it would be prone to not work or not work for long depending if this would then identify as engine electronic fault and cause all the intermittent temp pressure rattly oil warnings and symptoms if so i hope that i can finally nip in the bud and prevent more searching and costly garage bills and drive the car and have fun :D

Looking at error

17704 error mapped cooling system is this linked to oil cooler would it show up as an engine fault if faulty and would it cause oil pressure and running problems also the thermostat temp gauge sits too low at times

Edited by mixmaster

17704/P1296/004758 - Error in Mapped Cooling System 

Possible Symptoms 

• Cold start issues

Possible Causes 

• Coolant Temperature Sensor (G62) faulty
  • Coolant Thermostat faulty

Possible Solutions 

• Check Coolant Temperature Sensor (G62)
  • Check Coolant Thermostat

If your gauge is sitting low go for the CTS, easy job to do, relatively cheap. 

17704 is usually a sign of a sticking thermostat ready for it's pension, and as the gauge is reading low is another symptom of this. Does it rise to 90 in traffic then drop back when cruising - especially down hills?.

The yellow lamp is a level sensor fault, and it could well be contaminated by the same crap as the pressure sensor appears to have been. HOWEVER, this would not have any bearing on the rattly engine, this is either a stuck oil pressure relief valve or the engine may not be in the peak of its life due to the poor oil change regime. Only a physical oil pressure test will answer those questions really.