Passenger electric mirror not working

I use my passenger wing mirror to help me reverse into the parking bay at work,  by dipping it to see the line. This morning however its decided to stop working. The drivers side still works, making me think it's not the fuse (one fuse controls both according to the diagram) or the control, so its probably the motor that's faulty. Is there anything else I could check before calling the dealer to investigate? How much is it likely to cost to repair/replace? 

car is now 5 years old so I think this might be the start of more things going wrong ☹ 

One option is that the wiring could also be damaged. The wires wich come from door to the body through "rubber pipe". At least its easy and free to check if there are any snapped wires. I have 2009 Fabia and I don't even know how long the car's passenger window hadn't been working and the fault was wiring between door and body.

Edited by okku12
  • Like 1

Then I don't think either would work, as I'm sure its just the drivers side door that's the problem with that...I know mine is!

Neither of my mirrors work because the wirer to the switch is snapped.

I'm sure that somehow the electric goes to the other mirror too:dry:  if the passengers side mirror don't work then I would assume you to check passenger's side wiring first. It's really stupid system in vag cars; wirings between door and  body break very easily.

I'm sure that somehow the electric goes to the other mirror too:dry:  if the passengers side mirror don't work then I would recommend you to check passenger's side wiring first. It's really stupid system in vag cars; wirings between door and  body break very easily.

Edit. Brain fart:biggrin: I meant recommend

They certainly can go independently of each other and often do! I think they can evan fail in the up/down plane, whilst moving to the left/right or vice-versa.

The wires are very thin and snap inside the door bellow. Re-join with a connector, tape up with insulation tape and Bob's your auntie's husband!

• Like 2

I know electric goes to both mirrors, I'm not daft, what I'm saying is that predominantly, its the wires in the drivers door that tend to snap, or that I've seen...

Not sure if that was aimed at my reply S27VEJ, but I made no implication regarding your intelligence. I pointed out that they can fail in more then one way. If the power in wire snaps, it may well fail both mirrors, I had one fail in just the up/down but not the left/right motion and it was indeed the passenger side. Inside the door bellows, there are a handful of wires, all quite thin and probably all just as likely as the next one to snap. Always the first place to look if the fuses are sound.

• Like 2

I apologize. Sorry for that S27VEJ. But I have had 2 cases about wires. Other was in mk5 golf on the passenger's side and the other was on mk2 fabia couple weeks ago. Both were on passengers' side wires that were broken and the electric window didn't work. There were other wires too that were almost snapped. Wire systems are quite similar in both sides of car in those doors, they have the same issues. Always first have a look at the cheapest faults and those that you can check by yourself. It's waste of money if first assume is some body motor or etc and someone buys immediately a part worth of hundreds of euros/pounds and added work to cost if done by dealer. After all that reveals fault and it is just some snapped wire which's cost is about one pound. 

On 24/05/2017 at 20:53, mrgf said:

They certainly can go independently of each other and often do! I think they can evan fail in the up/down plane, whilst moving to the left/right or vice-versa.

The wires are very thin and snap inside the door bellow. Re-join with a connector, tape up with insulation tape and Bob's your auntie's husband!

Agreed. The crimp connectors may suit..

In the past and now also I use self amalgamating tape..it form a watertight and strong joint.

Cheers

GEOF