DSG advice please?

22 hours ago, Estate Man said:

I can't tell exactly what situation you are speaking of, but the car should sort it out ok whatever mode you are in. If it's not, and it bothers you then use some extra driver input to alter the situation.  

I do.................As stated in an earlier post.

On 6/7/2017 at 11:23, Tilt said:

now i just nudge it over to +/- before it changes up.

What other driver input should i be doing to teach the gearbox that i do not want it to change up at that particular point??? 

And yes, obviously the gearbox would change back down itself eventually.

And why would a car need to know if it is tilting left or right???

Maybe as stated in my earlier post, DSG gearboxes work a little differently in heavier / lighter cars etc...? I did miss out newer / older though, but that was the etc

You have a brand new fabia whilst mine is 12 years old........so maybe mine does not have this chip??? If you were assuming my DSG was newish, then fair enough.

I do not think mine does shift down automatically going downhill specifically to enable engine braking either.

Yes, was assuming that because you were in the Fabia Mk3 section that you had the latest version. In addition, your 12 year old Fabia doesn't have a dsg gearbox. It has one of the older torque converter boxes, as you say, a six speed. Very good gearboxes though. I had a similar unit in my Fabia Mk2 estate. That gearbox is not as sophisticated as the DSG unit. Answering your question about why a car would need to know if it is tilting left or right. The orientation chip gives the car all sorts of information. It not only tells the ecu (which on the Fabia Mk3 controls just about every function in the car) whether the car is going uphill or down, but also gives important information to the ecu electronic stability control system about tilting left or right and the gforce being produced etc. It also detects sudden abrupt stopping as in a collision, so shutting off the fuel to prevent a fire in an accident. Honestly don't know if your 12 year old car has such a sophisticated chip in it as I'm a Honda/Nissan tech, not Skoda.

12 hours ago, Estate Man said:

Yes, was assuming that because you were in the Fabia Mk3 section that you had the latest version. In addition, your 12 year old Fabia doesn't have a dsg gearbox. It has one of the older torque converter boxes, as you say, a six speed. Very good gearboxes though. I had a similar unit in my Fabia Mk2 estate. That gearbox is not as sophisticated as the DSG unit. Answering your question about why a car would need to know if it is tilting left or right. The orientation chip gives the car all sorts of information. It not only tells the ecu (which on the Fabia Mk3 controls just about every function in the car) whether the car is going uphill or down, but also gives important information to the ecu electronic stability control system about tilting left or right and the gforce being produced etc. It also detects sudden abrupt stopping as in a collision, so shutting off the fuel to prevent a fire in an accident. Honestly don't know if your 12 year old car has such a sophisticated chip in it as I'm a Honda/Nissan tech, not Skoda.

Sorry bud, but you do make a lot of assumptions rather than checking information. 

No offence intended but just because I'm in the Fabia section doesn't mean I have to have a Fabia. Or that it would necessarily be a Mk3 either. I simply replied to a topic titled DSG advice please

My sig says i have an Octy 1.9tdi DSG eleg est, (no esp) which is what i have. Hence my replying to a DSG query.

The assumption i made was that people check this information before trying to educating others.

I'm glad you put that last sentence in, and maybe not all newer cars have such a sophisticated chip in either........I believe not many would have electronic stability programs that would require such a chip. Usually only high end cars have ESP/DSP etc......

I would be surprised if a car such as a Fabia would have an ESP, but certainly not the whole range of them.

Edited by Tilt

^^ Problem is you may not see that information if reading the forum on a phone and posting on a phone, so handy if people say what vehicles they are talking about and what generation of engines, gearboxes.

PS.

Cars registered after the date that EU legislation required ESP have ESP.

http://automotive-technology.co.uk/?p=2263 

The All New Mk3 Fabia never got Type Approved as it runs on the Type Approval from the Mk2 Fabia but Skoda did fit ESP as standard due to the legislation start date.

(Skoda were actually still making ESP an optional extra years after other manufacturers had it as a standard fitment on the cheaper models, city cars etc.)

Edited by Awayoffski
  • Like 1

Tilt, sorry but sigs are not always up to date and it didn't show on my phone anyway. It kinda sounded like you had a fabia. Otherwise what relevance is a post about a 12 year old Octy with an older 6 speed dsg box? The tech is different. Regarding esp, as awayoffski says, it's law now and even the Octy has had it for some years. My 8 year old fabia auto had it too. Very common. Not really trying to educate you just trying to answer your questions. Anyhoo...seems like you are doing your fair share of making assumptions about cars and their tech! Lol!

On 6/16/2017 at 12:40, Awayoffski said:

^^ Problem is you may not see that information if reading the forum on a phone and posting on a phone, so handy if people say what vehicles they are talking about and what generation of engines, gearboxes.

PS.

Cars registered after the date that EU legislation required ESP have ESP.

http://automotive-technology.co.uk/?p=2263 

The All New Mk3 Fabia never got Type Approved as it runs on the Type Approval from the Mk2 Fabia but Skoda did fit ESP as standard due to the legislation start date.

(Skoda were actually still making ESP an optional extra years after other manufacturers had it as a standard fitment on the cheaper models, city cars etc.)

An interesting and informative read. I'm happy to be educated.

I guess the move in technology and the fact that it is much cheaper nowadays allows use of this once expensive technology to be used widespread.

Cheers

Hardly any expensive parts involved, hardware is already on cars and software is codes and licencing.

VW Group pushed it too long charging customers as an option on some cars for what other manufacturers & others knew was a Safety Feature.

Just the usual Corporate Greed from VW.

On 6/16/2017 at 23:57, Estate Man said:

Tilt, sorry but sigs are not always up to date and it didn't show on my phone anyway. It kinda sounded like you had a fabia. Otherwise what relevance is a post about a 12 year old Octy with an older 6 speed dsg box? The tech is different. Regarding esp, as awayoffski says, it's law now and even the Octy has had it for some years. My 8 year old fabia auto had it too. Very common. Not really trying to educate you just trying to answer your questions. Anyhoo...seems like you are doing your fair share of making assumptions about cars and their tech! Lol!

All fair comments....................including your last sentence...............Lol.

If i had realised earlier, that you did not realise my car was much older i would have pointed this out there and then. No worries.

And fair comment my reply to the op maybe irrelevant if the new DSG is that different from the ones back then.

It's all fine Tilt! We all rub along ok on here as you know...but it's the nature of forums that occasionally we all misunderstand each other...lol...arguably that's when we learn the most though.  Although I'm a tech and have had Skoda for near 10 years now, I can honestly say I've learned a huge amount about Skoda from this site. It's a very good place to be.

Edited by Estate Man
Speeling mistoke!
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Estate Man said:

It's all fine Tilt! We all rub along ok on here as you know...but it's the nature of forums that occasionally we all misunderstand each other...lol...arguably that's when we learn the most though.  Although I'm a tech and have had Skoda for near 10 years now, I can honestly say I've learned a huge amount about Skoda from this site. It's a very good place to be.

Speeling mistoke! 

3 points and a hefty fine? :sadsmile: