Skoda Fabia VRS AUX Belt Tensioner

Hi guys,

I am in a strange situation atm. I had my aux belt tensioner and belt replaced on 31/08/2016 and the tensioner fell off yesterday, 31/05/2017. It looked like the bolt had fallen out and nothing else. So I assumed there was some form of warranty with this work, I've got the receipt but it didn't mention the warranty.

I've got the car recovered to the original garage and they have had a look at the tensioner and said it is completely broken and I need a new one. Now, the part is only covered for 3 months, or so they say, and in total will cost me £40 more than the last repair... They also say I need a new belt but the belt has not frayed or anything like that, to be expected as it has only driven ~4,000 miles since this repair!

I have spoken to a few other garages and they say work like this is normally covered by a 12 month warranty and is very unusual a tensioner should break so quickly.

I think the garage did not tighten the bolt up enough and are too embarrassed to accept/fix it so are charging my over the odds.

I just wanted to ask you guys if any of you have had any issues with tensioner arms going a lot or bad repairs?

Thank you,

Caleb

Fixed the issue by getting another tensioner put in by a more reputable garage, now has a 12 month warranty, bit annoying but problem is solved now. Spoke to the manufacturer extensively and sent them some pictures of the part and their conclusion is the part was ill fitted. They have suggested I take them down the legal route but for such a small amount of money, it is not worth it.

Problem solved now anyway! :)

Interesting a manufacturer would suggest going legal with the garage - who was it? The garage should offer a 12 month warranty on parts and labour by rights, speak to your local citizens advice bureau, see what they say

Edited by octyal

1 hour ago, octyal said:

Interesting a manufacturer would suggest going legal with the garage - who was it? The garage should offer a 12 month warranty on parts and labour by rights, speak to your local citizens advice bureau, see what they say

The manufacturer said they could not offer refunds, only the garage/dealer could. It is an independent garage that mainly support fleets and does private jobs rarely on the side.

When I rung Formula 1 Autocentre (where I got the job done the second time) they said most jobs should have a 12 month warranty and there job did so I can rest easy about that now. However, both the dealer and garage only offer 3 months warranty.

Thank you very much, I didn't think of that, I will try!

• 2 weeks later...

Manufacturer emailed me a few days ago and have said I am covered by warranty now (wonder who got their ass kicked) so I am sending the part off through Formula 1 garage and hopefully I will get a refund on the part at least!

So if you want something done just keep moaning at the right people until it gets done! B)

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, CalebSdeQ said:

Manufacturer emailed me a few days ago and have said I am covered by warranty now (wonder who got their ass kicked) so I am sending the part off through Formula 1 garage and hopefully I will get a refund on the part at least!

So if you want something done just keep moaning at the right people until it gets done! B)

Who told you that? Highly unlikely without them seeing the part first for inspection, there are procedures to follow with warranty claims

54 minutes ago, octyal said:

Who told you that? Highly unlikely without them seeing the part first for inspection, there are procedures to follow with warranty claims

Manufacturer themselves, I had sent them pictures of the part and they have said I am due a refund under warranty. I can appreciate there are procedures.

Apologies, I misunderstood you. It is created by Litens and then it is rebranded across several companies, the one that is being used for Skoda is Gates, specific model: Gates DriveAlign. Gates have accepted the warranty case, I have spoken to both Gates and Litens about this.