Strange DPF values in VCDS

Hi,

I Borrowed a non-original vag-com cable and software from a friend of mine some time ago.

I played around in VCDS and looked at some of the values for the DPF.

I thought "end of life" for the DPF was at 45 grams of carbon mass. Mine shows 89(!)

I have never had any fault codes on the DPF or emmisions at all before and the MPG and Power seems to be like before.

Group 073 seems to be correct, but the "Particle filter load coefficient" and "Carbon mass learned value" in Group 068 never changes even after a long drive. I do know that "Particle filter carbon mass" has changed, because it showed 88.0 for about four months ago.

The car has 322000 on the clock, and it is a 2.0 BMM engine.

DPF values.png

Edited by Kjetil1Z

• 4 weeks later...

I don't think the measuring blocks are particularly clearly named.

Assuming your car is working normally, the DPF will collect soot, the soot value can't exceed 45g otherwise the car will be unable to perform a regeneration.

Regeneration converts the soot into ash.

Ash can't be removed so will slowly fill the DPF until the level is too high and the DPF needs replacing although it's not clear what the maximum ash loading.

I believe on a PD engine, 068 shows ash content and 075 shows soot content. There are posts showing 120+ in 068 so I don't think your DPF is full yet and given your last regen, it seems happy.

Have you had a problem with the DPF?

In my opinion those values are just filling capacity percentage (in your case I believe it is just 86% out of 100).So no reason to worry about. Furthermore a "BMM" engine is widely popular as a very reliable and also it's DPF as "Trouble free" regardless of the mileage.

• 4 months later...

Haven't thought so much about this lately, but I have kept it in mind for the last months.. The last couple of weeks I have noticed that the engine regenerate almost precisely at 330km every time, no matter how my driving pattern is.

It may have done this for several months without me noticing it, but this and the strange numbers in VCDS makes me believe that it is some sort of sensor issue. Or is it just that the DPF is so filled up that the engine has to regenerate every so often now? The clock is ticking againt 340k km :-P