Used car discount

paulhipwood

We are looking to buy a used Roomster, prices in main dealers are around £9000 for the later low mileage models.

What discount should I expect to negotiate.

I wanted to get a superb but my Mother in law (who lives with us) found it difficult to get in (92 years old). But she hopped in and out of a Roomster!!!

best regards

Paul

Depends very much on the dealership and the time of the year month. Ideally the end of the month is a good time as they have monthly targets to meet. Also the time just before the new number plate is good as they would be looking to get rid of the old stock. Another good time would be December when they need to make their yearly sales targets

I was looking at a fabia 1.2 tsi priced at £5690 and made an offer for £5000. The dealer came down to £5250. This can vary though and you could get  more or less depending upon how keen the dealer is to make the sale

It's advisable to get the market value of the car you're thinking of going for. The following websites give you a good idea about the value. hpivaluations.com, whatcar.com. Use the value to negotiate with the dealer before making an offer. 

I have heard that they roughly they have margins of anywhere between 10 to 20% of the cars value. They do have their costs as well so can't blame them too much either. Sometimes they just need to get rid of a car and that's when they'll be willing to come down on the price heavily. It's just a matter of shopping around different dealerships.

Edited by tribalboy
  • Like 1