Boot locking mechanism

Hiya guys

The electronic boot lock on my skoda Mk1 has never worked since I had it. The cable works fine as I've checked it by pulling the lever by the drivers door so I know that's ok. I've checked the fuses which are also ok. Have I read somewhere that there's a micro switch under the lever by the drivers door? If so could that be the problem? I've also noticed the rear washer don't work either as no water comes out from the wiper arm 

Edited by AndyCov70

The microswitch is in the boot rubber finger switch on the tailgate.

Rear washer issue is usually the rubbish pipe connectors popping apart or the pipe coming off the pump or rear jet nozzle. The pump is under the pass side wheel arch liner at the front. The pipe joint connectors are at the bulkhead and behind the side trim near the pass side back seat.

Edited by TMB

More in-depth description of rear washer issue...

The pipe will have disconnected in one of four places.

1) At the connector to the washer pump. Remove the Torx scews around the front edge of the NSF wheel arch, pull it back and use something to wedge it open. You can then access the pump, reconnect the hose and use cable tie if you wish.

2) Behind the brake lines at the ABS unit, on the engine bay bulkhead, approximately behind the top/right corner of the engine. There will be a stub hose coming out of the bulkhead, and the other section of hose will most likely be hanging loose. Reach in and connect the two sections of pipe. It's possible with one hand, although if you have small hands and arms, it will be easier to use both. Use a cable-tie if you wish.

3) Behind the trim running along the NSR seat back. Fold the seat forward and pull the plastic trim away (two round clips will come off). Find the black hose running up from the floor into the boot, and locate the connector. Push the two sections together, and fasten with a cable-tie if required.

4) At the connector to the rear washer jet. The trim inside the boot lid pulls away and you can then access the connection. Re-fitting the trim can be tricky if you bend the clips, and don't forget the feed the pull handle through before you start putting it all back together! Again, you can cable-tie if you want.

If all pipe connections are good it may be a failed pump or blocked jet.

Edited by TMB
  • Like 1

Washer pump pipe connections...

imageproxy.php.png

Pipe connection at bulkhead near ABS unit (pic shows mine which I sleeved with rubber pipe instead of using the original connectors)...

post-105750-0-81234000-1379863385.jpg

Location of pipe connection at N/S rear...

imageproxy.php.jpg

Tailgate washer jet connection...

post-30522-0-18112500-1385929276.jpg

The boot release by the driver's door is purely mechanical in operation, no electrics involved.

The way it works is very simple. When you pull the release lever next to the door, a Bowden cable moves the item circled in red in the first pic below. That item then simply pushes on the orange lever of the tailgate lock (second pic) and pops it open.

3337788.png

55578.png

If the car also has a rubber finger switch above the rear number plate, a solenoid will be fitted to the latch plate, which does the same job as the bowden cable when opening from the rear. You can just see the solenoid on mine in the first pic with its white plastic body.

Also check the spring-loaded plunger, the function of which is to push open the tailgate when unlatched. Push the plunger with your finger and check it is nice and springy. If not, the tailgate won't open properly.

Plunger in red circle...

5567788.png

Edited by TMB

The spring loaded plunger works fine I've tested that. The cable does move the locking mechanism so will look at the boot lock on the boot. What is the micro switch for then? 

13 hours ago, AndyCov70 said:

The spring loaded plunger works fine I've tested that. The cable does move the locking mechanism so will look at the boot lock on the boot. What is the micro switch for then? 

Some Fabias have a boot opening switch above the number plate. When you push on the rubber part with your fingers you are pressing a microswitch which operates the solenoid I mentioned earlier. Not all Fabias have the rear opening option though.

s-l1600.jpg

6_Y0_827_574_K.jpg

Edited by TMB

Andy - washerwise -there's an article in here about this. Never use less than 50% mix ,as this is one of the main reasons for the pipes to pop. Mine didn't work when I got the car .Pure water in the bottle.