Infotainment screen issues

Hi all, not sure if anyone else has had this problem but currently I have having issues with my bolero infotainment screen flickering on and off. Basically, radio/audio works fine. The screen just intermittently goes off and on every 20 seconds or so and screen becomes unresponsive. I believe it may be something to do with the headunit as everytime I open the glovebox it tends to come back on again. It also seems to be worse going round a left hand bend! Now the question is what do I do? The car is now out of warranty and these headunits are expensive (dealer told me around £1300!!). Dealer told me I can get it in for a possible software update (dont think that will fix it) and I can only imagine that they will go down the 'sorry sir, you just need to get a new headunit' option.

It does seem that there is a loose wire somewhere. I have had glovebox out and checked wiring at back of headunit but everything seems secure?

Thoughts?

Steve

As the radio & audio continues to work while the screen disappears it sounds like it is not an external wiring issue but something going on in the electronics. Bad, loose connectors, dry joint(s) or any one of many things. Might be worth trying to get the screen out of the dash and give it a good shake whilst switched on - see if it affects it or not.

Thanks Eltezz, I have ordered some radio removal keys. I believe that if I disconnect power from the unit I may need the system to be recoded by Skoda is that correct? I was looking at it again last night and noticed that if the screen goes off if I apply slight pressure to the front of the headunit it pops back on again.. very strange.. just hope I don't need a new one!

Steve

The front panel assembly will have high density ribbon cables for the LCD, buttons and knobs connecting it to the main board inside the unit. Most likely scenario is a faulty LCD but also could be the LCD ribbon not pushed home on the main board. When you push on the front of the unit you flex the LCD and all its connections so the fault probably lies there...

I am not sure about recoding if disconnected. I wouldn't have thought so as the unit is already matched to the car.

It's not the front panel of the infotainment display I was pressing it was the front of the headunit in the glovebox that was making it come back on. Consistently did this.

Interesting. Must be something to do with the CANBUS connection between the two units. Maybe if comms is lost the main display is blanked for some reason. So an intermittent or loose connection in the head unit then.