Hello and ESC Programming for towbar

Beanfeast

Hi

I've been creeping round the forum for a while and though it about time to say hello!

I got a 2nd hand 62 plate Yeti 4x4 2.0 Diesel (170) last November and loved driving it. I also tow a 5 berth caravan and it's been a joy to tow with too.

I do have one question straight off the bat.

The tow bar is a detachable swan neck type with a 7 pin socket that was already fitted to the car. When detached the socket pushes away into the bumper and a cover is clicked into place on the bumper hiding it all.

The indicators beep when hitched up, and all the lights work correctly as they should, however I don't think the car has been reprogrammed to tow as the Amunsden display still shows the back of the car when hooked up and the reverse sensors constantly beep. This could mean the ESC isn't programmed to adapt to towing either. Would this be a big issue?

I've towed to Scotland and back and the whole setup felt completely stable and controllable - so I don't really feel the need to splash out with money I don't have if I don't have to. Does anyone know if the reprogramming for towing actually makes a great deal of difference?

If the indicators beep when hitched then your car has not been wired using a correct wiring loom and almost certainly has not been reprogrammed.

If the job has been done properly when the trailer is plugged in you should have:

Trailer display on Amunsden when in reverse.

Rear fog lights disabled.

Alarm system extended to trailer, so it sounds when alarm active and trailer is unplugged.

Rear parking sensors disabled.

Bulb failure system extended to the trailer, and this acts as the legally required indicator failure notification.

Plus others.

I would be concerned on 2 counts:

1/ That an incorrect wiring system has been used, leading to possible damage to the very expensive Lighting Control Unit.

2/ The ESC system has not been modified which could cause problems in some severe situations. From what I have seen the system is particularly effective in swerving situations such as sudden lane changes, and is said to be of some effect if the "tail wags the dog". 

• Like 1

It does sound like you have the correct detachable set up for the tow bar, however whoever had it fitted did it the cheap way and had the electrics set up using the bypass relay method. This is by far and away the most inferior way of doing it. The only way you can have the ESC etc. working is by having a correct vehicle specific wiring kit fitted and coded to the car. This will then give you all the functions Graham lists. 

Why not have a look through this to give you an idea of what is going on:-

http://www.philtaylortowbars.co.uk/towbar-electrics/4559476642

Ian

• Like 1

Agree woth countrboy.

I had the bypass relay on my audi self fitted as i didnt have sensors. I had a  firm fit the yet with a specific loom for and they coded it. This turns of swnsors and foglamps on the car when towing.

Nothing wrong with the bypass method perse its cheap and easy but you will have to put up with sensor beep and foglamp glare