Need advice pls

Evening all hope someone can help me with whats wrong with my car. As i was setting off, accelerating in first gear, I heard a loud bang then the car would not move in any gear. I stopped on a side road and the car started fine, put it in first but the engine just revs but the car wouldn't  move. I can still put the gear stick in any gear including reverese but with no bitting point even lifting the cluth off when the gear is engaged did not stall the engine. the recovery guy recons its the clutch cable but i thought these clutches run on hydrolic system. the Clutch pedal is still in normal position and not depressed to the floor and there's no grinding sound heard when lifting the  cltuch when in gears. my inkling was on the dmf but there was no sign of it slipping previouly. A quick search on here brought the driveshaft being at fault but since i have no knowledge of the clutch system in this car i want to have some info to take back to the mechanic  so im not taken for a ride, as i have not used the mechanic where the car was dropped off this evening. Oh the car is a vrs tsi engine and apology for the long post.

I would suspect a drive shaft or the couplings have failed or possibly the diff.

29 minutes ago, vRSrod said:

thanks for a quick reply Moley, i had the driver side cv joint replaced recently. if it was the diff, would i need to replace the whole gearbox?

If the diff has let go then yes it would mean a new/second hand gearbox. the clutch on the octy is indeed hydraulic not cable; so won't be a snapped clutch cable; also the petrol engine's i think have a solid flywheel rather then a dual mass, so would rule this out as solid flywheel's by their very nature don't give trouble like the dual mass one do.

I have also seen the driveshaft break the six bolts that hold it onto the drive flange at gearbox end, although it it's very rare and i've only seen it once. 

The garage has looked at the car and told me the spine on the driveshaft was damaged. Am I correct in saying spine are the teeth that hold the CV joint to the drive shaft? Anyway complete driver side shaft is ordered and hopefully it's all it needs to get me back on the road. 

Edited by vRSrod

I

2 hours ago, vRSrod said:

The garage has looked at the car and told me the spine on the driveshaft was damaged. Am I correct in saying spine are the teeth that hold the CV joint to the drive shaft? Anyway complete drivers side shaft is ordered and hopefully it's all it needs to get me back on the road. 

They mean spline. These are the male grooves on the outer end of the shaft that pass through the female splines inside the CV joint. Anyway not too bad news as fairly straight forward to change and hopefully not too expensive.

ha ha couldn't excatly hear what the other guy was saying over the phone, quoted 230+ vat supply and fitted. First thing to break after having my car re-mapped the other week, im pleasantly surprised it was not the clutch phew...

Ju1ian001 can you confirm that the petrol vrs FL have SMF? as im looking to replace the clutch to an uprated sachs kit

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/280733959218?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Just waiting to hear from the supplier to confirm it will fit my car.

• john999boy changed the title to Need advice pls