Hello from South Wales......

MarlboroLites

From not quite a new owner....had my Mk1 Vrs hatch for 3 weeks now. And I'm pleased as punch with her.

She's in great nick, fast when required but quite happy when I'm in chilled mode and gives me 35mpg (compared to my L322 Range Rover's 22ish). 

I've been a VAG fan since passing my test 33 years ago. I've had Mk1, 2 and 3 Golfs: two Corrado 16v and a VR6; and a couple of 1980s Golf GLS in between GTIs. Non VAG cars include an 83 RS1600i; Mk1 & 2 Santa Fe; Kia Sorento; Jeep Grand Cherokee; and lastly the Range Rover. The Octavia purchaser has seen my return to VAG!

When I picked her up - I bought unseen - I could see some aftermarket additions - light tints, carbon wrapped grill and pressed number plates. I removed the tints and bought a new chrome grill insert and badge. Now looks much better in my view. I've retained the plates which grown on me. 

Only expense so far is outlay for a recirculation flap motor to cure some chattering behind the glove box - not fitted yet; a pair of key casings as the buttons were broken; new front indicators as the old ones had crud right around their edge which spoilt the front view and new front disks and pads to cure an upfront wabble - from the car not my belly haha!

I've vaxed carpet and seat inserts 3 times to arrive at the original light grey appearance. I'll be replacing driver's seat foam as soon as possible to cure a parted bolster. I've silicone lubed the door seals to cure a load of squeaks and used the same product to free up the door handle function. 

Quite pleased with progress...so time to enjoy! Once I'm back on my feet. I had my gall bladder removed yesterday and I feel like my insides were dropped on the floor, stomped on, then shovelled them back in! 

Greetings to you all.

IMG_20170615_182112464_HDR.jpg

• Like 4

Thanks, I'm very pleased with it...miles of smiles!

I think it's been remapped. It just feels like it's putting down more than 180 horses through its front wheels! I also found the original recirculating valve in the boot. I need to inspect it's replacement for clues. 

Hello MalboroLites welcome to the Skoda forum good to have you with us :hi:gall bladder removed painful less pain it the long run i hope .:unsure:

PS Nice motor .

Edited by JED

Thanks for the warm welcome. I'm itching to get fettling but under strict orders to chill out. 

Yes JED, in the long term I'm sure I'll be better off. I'm feeling well trollied right now though. I'm not good at doing nothing...... I'm easily frustrated! 

welcome neighbour, will have to keep a look out for you. The wife had her gall bladder removed last year and going on the amount of pain she was in I can sympathise on what you have gone through.

Thanks Alexh4551, are we close to each other? I'm Coedely. It's the best op I've ever had mate, worst pain ever. Hope your wife is now fully recovered. I can't wait to throw a tomahawk steak down my throat....trouble is it'll end up on the floor there's so many holes in my torso!!

PS - we've got a pug....you too?

2 hours ago, MarlboroLites said:

Thanks Alexh4551, are we close to each other? I'm Coedely. It's the best op I've ever had mate, worst pain ever. Hope your wife is now fully recovered. I can't wait to throw a tomahawk steak down my throat....trouble is it'll end up on the floor there's so many holes in my torso!!

PS - we've got a pug....you too?

I am down in Beddau so not far and have experienced the Coedely club a couple of times .

It took the wife a while to recover and now she can not eat certain foods but along with her operation she also has crohns.

We have 2 pugs, a black one called Doug and a fawn called Dave.

Ahhh... Coedely Club..... Bit like a posh Beddau Rugby Club! 

I feel for your wife mate. Crohn's is awful, 2 close friends live with this. It's one of those conditions you'd think a jab should be able to cure by now. Too much money spent on bloody war mongering! Spend that on developing cures for debilitating medical conditions I say!

Our pug is Django....another 'D'! He's from the Dogs Trust in Penyfai. Mischievous as hell...... We went with an Alsatian called Chief (with issues) in mind. And came home with a Pug!? He also has issues....like not knowing he's only a foot high and taking on all comers in the park! And also failing to appreciate his toilet in outside...... But he's quite adorable. 

• Like 1

• 9 months later...

Ahhhh...the delights of living a rural life accessible only along narrow lanes! 

Day/Date/Time: Sunday 8 April @12:30.

Situation: returning home after walking my pug 9 miles...he was knackered and sleeping soundly.

Spoiler: meeting a 17 year old in a Daewoo Matiz hurtling round a blind bend in a generally  out of control fashion. I'm still amazed I wasn't hit head in tbh! 

Result 1: her car up a telegraph pole after side swiping the entire off side of my car! 

Result 2: she was 'wearing' a thick shake from a well known burger outlet  and had salad trimmings in her hair following her meal ricocheting around the inside of her car!! 

Result 3: looks like my car is going to be written off! I'm well and truly gutted. At least she has admitted total responsibility. Every cloud and all that.

Offered £1400. Car has FSH, is in excellent condition, with 100k on the clock. I've had recent clutch and dmf, fuel pump, injectors, fuel pump, suspension components plus other bits and bobs, including black leather recaros interior courtesy of a MK4 Golf.  The car goes so well and is just how I want it...... QUESTION - Should I buy it back? I'd be interested in views. 

The repair is pretty simple, no new panels needed, just a wing mirror and an alloy wheel.  And the flank resprayed after prep. 

I've added a pic for your delectation... 

IMG_20180408_125902867_HDR.jpg

Structurally she's straight and true. Dent on a pillar from her wing mirror but no deformation. I did have a cam....in the bloody glovebox! I'm minded to steal her back and return her to her former glory. Seems mad not to.....

Yes - as long as the main structure is still true, shop around for a reliable bodyshop and go for it.  Has it been given a Cat D or other by the insurer's surveyor?   This will show on the V5 and potentially affect the resale value.

Edited by Oldmansomerset

I'm still awaiting formal assessment but likely Cat N equating to non structural. I'm busy gathering evidence of replacement cost to up the vale from £1400. I'm sick of the ambulance chasing companies urging me to take out a personal injury claim though! Like bloody vultures!

• 2 weeks later...

So, quick update.....

The engineer assessed the repairs needed to exceed the value of the car.  No surprises there really.  He valued it much higher than offered by the 3rd party insurance company which I', pleased about.  Even more pleasing was that I can buy it back at 10% salvage cost, the difference being paid direct to my bank account.  Even even more pleasing is that I spent some time using different rubbing compounds to successfully remove all the collision related paint and plastic transfer and apart from small indentations on the A-pillar and rear arch the car is perfect.  I'll swap the mildly damaged alloy for the spare for now.  Plan is to refurb them all in time.  I did have to replace the destroyed wing mirror though - £20 courtesy of ebay, in the right colour.  When I have a moment I'll post some pics.    

:biggrin:

Just needs a good machine polish now and sort out that rogue alloy. Might just refurb them all.... Thinking graphite or darker grey/silver. Overall I'm chuffed with how easily I've made her presentable. I'll try a dentmaster type service for the 2 minor dents I'm left with - A pillar and rear arch.