Unhappy 1.9TDI

I have had my Roomster around 7 years and  I use it as a van more often than a car...removing the back seats to allow me to shift a Model Railway around the country.. I have  an issue which is a total mystery to me , I seem  now to have a vehicle which has got an excessive engine noise, especially when I am accelerating from 30- 55.. Less its fine , when stationary no noise.. When I am belting up/down the motorway the sound seems to reduce.

Skoda in Watford have had both front wheels off thy are not damaged in any way - they have been checked for  wheel balancing... They say they have taken the car out for a run and could not find anything wrong...

I also took the car into kwik-Fit and had the opportunity to walk underneath and could not see any untoward damage.

I know my own car , I know how it should sound and this sounds unwell.. I have no warning lights coming on - I took it for a long run on several different types of road and could not figure out what's actually causing the issue.

Any bright ideas....

Oh by the way this is my 3rd Skoda , previously I had a Felicia Estate  and an Octavia Saloon..

Welcome.

So how many miles has your car covered, when was it serviced last, oil and filter change, what about gearbox oil change or any maintenance on it, 

when does that get done ?

Hi Cartaret1,

First try to identify if the noise is road speed or engine speed related.

You can check this by, when you are at a speed that you hear the noise does it disappear if you take it out of gear.

If it is still there then start looking at wheels/driveshaft,gearbox.

Or is the noise engine speed related, does it appear at the same engine revs in every gear.

In which case you are looking at the engine.

Hope this helps

Thanks AG Falco.

• Like 2

Serviced  by Skoda in Watford only 65k on the clock CAM belt and Fuel Pump have been changed I also had a new door harness fitted on drivers side  and also had the issue with the over-revving just ager I bought this from the Dealership in Finchley.. Don't think the  filter and oil have been changed since2014-Nothing has been done to gear box as far as I am aware...MOT is due shortly ... I have taken car in twice to Citigate in Watford and am still unhappy... and the car is too...

Banging your head against a wall is only nice when you stop and the pain goes.

Best find a better Workshop / Master Tech.

Also get looked at Pre-Mot since the Mot Examiner is not looking to Service & Maintain your car just find safety faults and if there are issues MOT time or Stations is not the time for Repairs, well IMO.

Something else to check is the rubber mounts in your engine cover and airbox. These do wear out and can cause noises that only appear at certain engine revs.

If it's only happening at certain road speeds though, check your tyres haven't gone out of shape. Sometimes this can cause a noise at certain speed and then disappear as road speed and consequently load increase and flatten the tyre surface out. You might also get a bit of body wobble at low speeds if you've got a pronounced bulge.

Keep us updated.

Went over to Rickmansworth to a friend who has a Skoda Fabia estate - who knows my car like me..Anyway .. He picked up on the noise straight away- seems to be right hand side ( ie Driver's side)  I took him around the Rickmansworth area with its hills etc..The noise does not appear to be related to the gear box.. It seems to be worst when you are changing up from second to third when the revs are around 20/25 on the rev counter. Then once you accelerate  above third gear the noise seemed to disappear. Its fine when you are tootling around 2nd/3rd gear at low speeds..The noise doesn't disappear if you take it out of gear.....

I was wondering if its either a baffle plate /welding joint in the exhaust system..

My original thought that it was either a buckled wheel/ wheel bearing  have been discounted. The front wheels have been checked by both Skoda and Kwik-Fit...Skoda took them off and  re-balanced them for me free of charge..

How do I check the rubber mounts on the engine cover.. Is there a book available as to how to check these.. I seem to remember having   books over the years for my Octavia and Felicia and other cars I have owned...

5 hours ago, Cartaret1 said:

How do I check the rubber mounts on the engine cover.. 

Just pull off the engine cover and check the condition of them. They do wear out over time. If you've got little rubber granules around the mount studs on top of the engine, that's a sign they're worn.

Also worth checking is how secure the air feed pipe going to the airbox is. You'd be amazed how much noise a loose one of them can make. And is easily fixed with a well placed self tapper.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Okay right ....  Skoda contacted me about  my feedback concerning the Watford Citigate operation... I told them what I felt  about the organisation and had this charming young lady on trying to smooth things out.. But I was underwhelmed...

So I took the vehicle down to  a local MOT and car servicing garage who havea great reputation locally-  We hopped in the car  and the mechanic drove up the road  less than 50 yards .. He spotted the issue immediately..

Its the driver's side front wheel bearing - which was my personal original diagnosis....

The car has passed the MOT... It is going into the garage tomorrow and they are going to sort this out...

To say that I am fuming with Watford Citigate is an understatement..

Suggest anyone in Hertfordshire avoid them like the plague !!

Too many smart arse young men in suits  and no nouce !

Sorted ...no thanks to Citigate... £253.69  that's parts and labour to sort the issue.. My Roomster went in this morning at 09.00... I got it back around 11.00.. I am NEVER going back to Skoda Citigate at Watford..