vRS Brakes, Handling, Fuel & Driving

SteVRs

Hazarding a guess - no ;)

The vRS is a totally different car compared to the 1.2/1.4 petrols. I've driven a Rover 100 for years, it's quite different from say the Rover 75 though.

I've driven an Octy but not a vRS or 4x4 - seen a few scream past though :P Not gonna worry too much about it though in fairness :D

so you can't comment at all on a Fabia Vrs with any personal experience?

First sensible thing you have said Mr Newall.

Goochie, how many times have you dragged up your video evidence, of ONE run? A few runs would have provided an undisputable average for us all to see.

Anyway, Fabia's are s***e. I can say that now, because I own an Octavia. ;)

In the same way the 1.2 Fabia is quite different to a Superb - whats your point?

In the same way My standard vRS can laugh all over a Diesel octavia taxi. But that doesn't make the vRS or 4x4 crap?

In the same way My standard vRS can laugh all over a Diesel octavia taxi. But that doesn't make the vRS or 4x4 crap?

tbh the octavia in standard guise does looks pants similar to the way that the fabia looks pants in normal guise. taxi is a strong word to be used but not far from the truth.

Strange, I dont ever remember saying it'd driven a VRS Fabia or that it was actually "crap". I'm not the one who started this thread and clearly stated that my "category" post was intended in a tounge in cheek manner.

I can, however, read posts on here about problems with Fabias. I can also see that in order to make it stop effectively you have to upgrade the brakes. If you want it to corner as you would expect from a car that is marketed as "sporty" you need to fit aftermarket suspension and expensive anti-roll bars.

A few months ago there was a rash of posts about how fabia VRS drivers had thrashed very nice machinery on the road. Luckily Bengie, myself and Jonny5ive seem to have squashed that with our experiment.

However, there is always the sense here that the fabia is the best car on the road, has the best build quality etc. etc. people get upset when its left out of Hot Hatch suplements and they have false hopes for it's used value.

The Skoda Fabia VRS is a small, glorified shopping car with a heavy lump of metal at the front end. It doesnt take a genius to work out that something of those proportions isnt going to corner or handle amazingly well out-of-the-box.

I'm fully aware of the octavias weaknesses.

Most of you fabia drivers ned to get a sense of humor :rofl:

There is more to life than MPG

You need to make some adjustments to the categories (pokes tounge in cheek):

Catergory 1

Woefully ineffective brakes' date=' poor handling and crap mpg. These people have probably had more than one car in the past and have very little finance outstanding on the Fabia.

They're happy to consider another brand and see misting up windows, poor handbrake and inability to fill up with fuel without a special technique as a problem.

[u']Category 2[/u]

Brakes fine, the handling adequate and get better mpg. Never hear a bad word said against Skoda, their fabia has no problems at all, Fords and Vauxhalls are all built badly and VW's are overpriced. They've probably never owned a car with such a powerful engine, probably never even driven one. A large portion of the car is on finance and they believe it will hold it's value for ever.

The brakes, fuel filler problems, misting up and poor hand brake are all part of the experience - after all TVR's need lots of TLC so why shouldnt' a Fabia.

VERY well said indeed ! :thumbup:

Mine does 60mpg (unmapped) EASILY and on a Motorway run it has done 69mpg, yes, at 70mph with the cruise on.

The handling is a little rock & roll but so what ! Believe me, go and spend 12 grand elsewhere and just see how the Fabias very little problems pale into insignificance. What's all this about the brakes as well ? ANY car pushed hard will unpick the brakes after a bit. Stop comparing the Fabia to everything else (like the Renault Clio Sport) The Fabia IS what it IS. A truly fantastic 12 grand sporty car with great residuals, fantastic economy, and an overall package that is top of the tree.

If you don't like the handling, then your test drive was NOT done properley. I had my test car for the weekend and which time I did my homework both online and in reality.

The small problems that the vRS may have are easily sorted and not too expensive.

Jon :thumbup:

Strange' date=' I dont ever remember saying it'd driven a VRS Fabia or that it was actually "crap". I'm not the one who started this thread and clearly stated that my "category" post was intended in a tounge in cheek manner.

I can, however, read posts on here about problems with Fabias. I can also see that in order to make it stop effectively you have to upgrade the brakes. If you want it to corner as you would expect from a car that is marketed as "sporty" you need to fit aftermarket suspension and expensive anti-roll bars.

A few months ago there was a rash of posts about how fabia VRS drivers had thrashed very nice machinery on the road. Luckily Bengie, myself and Jonny5ive seem to have squashed that with our experiment.

However, there is always the sense here that the fabia is the best car on the road, has the best build quality etc. etc. people get upset when its left out of Hot Hatch suplements and they have false hopes for it's used value.

The Skoda Fabia VRS is a small, glorified shopping car with a heavy lump of metal at the front end. It doesnt take a genius to work out that something of those proportions isnt going to corner or handle amazingly well out-of-the-box.

I'm fully aware of the octavias weaknesses.

Most of you fabia drivers ned to get a sense of humor :rofl:

There is more to life than MPG[/quote']

sorry mate . no need for hand bags

I have been told in many threads that your own experience is the best bet and not to talk about it if you don't have any. im sure the fabia is fine for most people just few seem to spend more to make it want they want it to be.

btw IMO the octavia looks pants (that was backlash for the shopping trolley remark)

Goochie has an in built hatred for Fabias, like i have one for people spouting ill informed crap.

The Fabia is what it is indeed, and like all things, aspects of it can be improved.

Your one off drag race proves nothing whatsoever about "claims" made by Fabia drivers, or Fabia's.

Had you taken up one of my many requests to participate in your experiment, then the results wouldnt have been to your liking, hence why you chose a Fabia with a switchable map, not a properly sorted one.

Take your car to the pod, this Saturday, and lets see whats what in a properly timed and controlled envoironment.

You should hook up with Mr Birkett, and jointly post opinions based on what you have read, rather than first hand experience.

In fact, the pair of you should create an anti skoda forum.

It's better than a shopping trolley ;) and stealthy it is too, just look at Jason's smoke screen disguise :P

In all seriousness though, I dont get the kind of MPG that some of the Fab vRS drivers get, have done some work to the car, etc etc. It's a simple fact that the Octavia vRS has a more tuneable engine, not commenting on the Mk2 here, and that it needs a bit of assistance on the handling to make it 'sorted' as well. It IS however a more sporty car as standard, and it will drive away from me ;)

Just in case I came across as 'grr I'm so annoyed at Mr Goochie' - I'm not in any way. It would have been good to drive a Fabia vRS for a bit though, and to try out a 'proper' vRS as it's often referred to :)

The race(s) between the 4x4/vRS Fab/vRS Oct were interesting and there was a clear winner, ain't disputing that :D

Goochie has an in built hatred for Fabias' date=' like i have one for people spouting ill informed crap.

.[/quote']

Read the first line of my post (the bit in brackets)

Your one off drag race proves nothing whatsoever about "claims" made by Fabia drivers' date=' or Fabia's.

.[/quote']

It proves that a Fabai with an AMD remap is slower than an Octavia with a Jabba remap, a 4x4 Octavia is faster off the line than a FWD one and all 3 are slower than a standard WRX Impreza.

No doubt a rolling start would have been different but thats neither here nor there as I dont work there any more.

Had you taken up one of my many requests to participate in your experiment' date=' then the results wouldnt have been to your liking, hence why you chose a Fabia with a switchable map, not a properly sorted one.

.[/quote']

If we wer eto invite a "properly sorted" fabia we would have had to arrange for a "properly sorted" Octavia to attend. Sadly Stuart, DaveU and the others were unable to attend when you were and were also to far away to come when there was a chance they could get turned away.

You should hook up with Mr Birkett' date=' and jointly post opinions based on what you have read, rather than first hand experience.

In fact, the pair of you should create an anti skoda forum.[/quote']

www.scoobynet.co.uk

this is a very funny thread!:)

having bought my Fabia vRS after reading all the rave reviews and what exotic cars it can beat I was to be honest a bit disapointed

as standard the handling is average and the performance not as good as I thought it was going to be.

But after fitting eibach springs 17" alloys and a tuning box it is more what I want, I average 45mpg with mixed driving have no problems with the brakes and quite like it

If mpg wasn't as issue I would have bought a civic type r or a Leon cupra R though