1.4 tdi clutch

Hi everyone,

The clutch pedal on my 57 reg 1.4tdi fabia has got rather high now (83k miles). I'm thinking of doing the clutch my self, looks like its £150 for 3 piece kit. is there anything else I need to get? I don't have a clutch alignment tool, would a generic one from ebay be alright or is a fancy one required? also are there any stretch bolts? from what I've read online the ones for the drive shaft and gearbox mounts might be.

thanks,

Ben Waine

2 minutes ago, Benji96 said:

Thank you very much !!!!!

I cant see why id need to drain the coolant though, but a real help! just need to find a weekend that I'm not busy now :)

Possibly required due to accessing some of the bolts etc, I suspect there are coolant connections in the way somewhere, hence the drain down. Also a good opportunity to flush and refill the system, and change the thermostat/water pump/cambelt? May take extra time to do, but at least is 1) all done in one weekend while the car is off the road & 2) it's less likely to go wrong and require doing in the middle of winter........murphy's law and all that, lol

had the cam belt done about 2 years ago with water pump etc so was hoping to not have to go down that route.

Any idea what level the gearbox oil should be? id assume you fill it until it spills out of the filling hole.

thanks,

Ben

40 minutes ago, Benji96 said:

had the cam belt done about 2 years ago with water pump etc so was hoping to not have to go down that route.

Any idea what level the gearbox oil should be? id assume you fill it until it spills out of the filling hole.

thanks,

Ben

No worries on that side then. Gearbox oil will be to the level when it comes out of the filler hole. In theory you may not need to top up the oil as most VW group shafts bolt to a flange which stays on the box anyway

It wasn't so much the lack of oil concerning me, more that its not been done for 83k miles. I'd presume some normal EP90 synthetic manual gearbox oil would suffice?

thanks,

Ben