Unknown split

Hi guys having a couple of problems with the car cutting out and found this split in this hose. I'm not sure what it's for really so thought I I would put it too the members. Also ran a diagnostics check and these 2 codes came up. 17554 and 17608

Thanks in advance 

20170710_200702.jpg

10 minutes ago, Ray Luxury-Yacht said:

It's part of the engine breather system and it's a very common failure point. Search this site for Y-piece hose.

Easy to replace and can lead to poor running if it is split.

Much thanks for the reply mate. Wasn't too sure as have quite a bad boost leak. Originally thought it was a boost hose but stumbled across this tonight. Also coil number 1 and 2 was popped up a bit. Pushed back in and that caught my eye. 

5 hours ago, Jux said:

17554 Is a MAF code - P1146 Mass or Volume Air Flow Circ Supply Malfunction

Check for chafed wiring to the maf

Is there any specific brand of maf if I were to replace it. Checked out eurocarparts and they have a bosch version. I would probably get one from tps but I'm not a trade customer 

9 hours ago, kentphil1 said:

I would cure your split y pipe, clear down the codes and see what comes back, having unmetered air in the system is going to mess with the maf big style.

Will look at getting a new one soon. 

On 7/11/2017 at 01:11, kentphil1 said:

Here's one of the two - http://wiki.ross-tech.com/wiki/index.php/17608/P1200/004608

The other may be an maf code, what did you use to run the diagnostic?.

I used a auto electrician who funnily enough was using his diagnostic equipment to fix a coach and a car where I work and I asked him and he obliged by reading the codes for me for free. Not sure but it was some kind of Bluetooth connected machine. Proper piece of equipment. He cleared fault codes and reset eml. 

On 11/07/2017 at 22:21, octaviavrs170 said:

Is there any specific brand of maf if I were to replace it. Checked out eurocarparts and they have a bosch version. I would probably get one from tps but I'm not a trade customer 

A bosch unit is OEM. However TPS charge something like a £80 surcharge on top of the price of a new maf, which was no good to me as i didn't have an OEM maf fitted so would have ended costing me something like £180 for a new MAF from them..

I have found some intermotor units for around £60 on ebay, they are often OE units reboxed, but haven taken the plunge yet. Managed to find a second hand one knocking around our spares cupboard.

As mentioned it is wise to fix the air leak and see how you get on though.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Jux said:

A bosch unit is OEM. However TPS charge something like a £80 surcharge on top of the price of a new maf, which was no good to me as i didn't have an OEM maf fitted so would have ended costing me something like £180 for a new MAF from them..

I have found some intermotor units for around £60 on ebay, they are often OE units reboxed, but haven taken the plunge yet. Managed to find a second hand one knocking around our spares cupboard.

As mentioned it is wise to fix the air leak and see how you get on though.

Definitely be doing it soon. Car has lost its "whoosh" so to speak. The company I work for has a fleet of skoda rapids and they use tps and skoda for parts i think so may get a trade discount. Need to speak to the boss. I was kinda sure that bosch was a oem unit as it's German and so is the engine technically. Also bosch have a good reputation for quality. But definitely doing it soon. Just relocated to Plymouth recently so money a bit scarce at the moment. Future work though. 

Before you jump in for a new unit, try cleaning your old one by taking a self sealing sandwich bag and fill it with about 1 1/2" of Isopropyl Alcohol, drop in you maf sensor (you need to remove it from the intake tube) let is soak for 3-4 minutes, then remove and allow it to air dry for a few minutes.

A lot of the time, the sensor is just clogged solid in intake detritis, which cleaning removes in about 7 out of 10 cases. as IPA is cheap and it will only cost you time, it is worth a go. You have probably lost your "whoosh" because the y pipe can allow the intake metered air to fluctuate and the boost control valves under the intake manifold work overtime to make up for a defect in the system - I'm assuming your car is still standard and these valves are still present.

Hope it helps

Phil.

• Thanks 1