Octavia 2.0TDI

42 minutes ago, TTodorov said:

@DaveDaveDave, keep us informed how it goes.

If you can extract info if it's affecting or cosmetic

I've been. They showed me the piece of paper briefly and basically said there's nothing they can do but are aware of noises related to the vacuum pump. 

8 hours ago, DaveDaveDave said:

See other posts. Very common fault by the sounds of it. 

yes, yes, my friend, I'm reading and writing about this for the last few months. Some of the posts and topics I've started :)

Many,many people have it, the question is ..

1. is it just the noise to get used to it or it can affect the car on later stage

2. as I've written before a russian changed it and after 6 months again the noise

for example in your case, what are you going to do next - change the pump or ..?

Also can you put more info regarding the technical aspect, if they've showed you something more. As you said it's the rotor but why it disappears then after warm up?

Thank you in advance

Hello all.  I too have this problem - 16 plate 2.0 tdi - started around 20,000 miles on the clock.  Noise is apparent from 50 to around 85 degrees coolant temperature.  After 10 to 15 mins, car temp is up to 90 and everything is fine.  Asked a local dealer to service the car and listen to the engine from cold - diagnosis was a new timing belt and tensioner.  Noise remained and I eventually stumbled upon your forum whilst looking for answers.  Tried the break test and pressing the break a couple of times produced a very brief change in sound.  Mentioned the 'rotor on the vacuum pump' theory and today got the following response - Skoda have Technical product information that relates to what you are experiencing and have confirmed the noise is caused by pump design corresponding with current production technology and no damage is caused to any part of the vehicle.   Skoda are stating there is no repair as this is a characteristic of the car. Hope this helps.  Nothing worse than hearing noises and not knowing what they are or what it means.  Can't recall whether any of the advertising literature/reviews mentioned that this noise would develop so early on in the cars life but there you have it!

• Thanks 1

@OBCity, thanks for sharing!

Mine started even earlier - 10k miles. I have very strong hearing (thanks God), heard it almost the next day it appeared. 

Very good to know there is technical bulletin for it and no damage is caused. 

For me it's another type of failure - can't be for a brand new car, even if it's a just a noise..

It's disappointing but my wife keeps reminding me that "it's just a car".  I will get around to registering my dissatisfaction with Skoda Uk but I'm past stressing about it.  I'll let you guys know what technical response I get from Skoda.  Take it easy.

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
6 minutes ago, Skodilakrs1 said:

That SUCKS!

I am realy angry when i here this sound. 

Sounds like an verry old car...if you don se it! 

True, very disturbing sound for a new car. Like it's going to break any second.

Hope it won't affect the engine. I'm very sorry I did not order 1.8 TSI instead of the diesel :(

Big disappointment for me as well - 15k km.

Did you decide to change the pump? I will use it little more and go and replace it next year.

what did you mean "if you don se it! " ?

• 5 months later...
30 minutes ago, Skodilakrs1 said:

Hey!

what new here?

Nothing new.  I decided not to pursue it any further.  Life’s too short!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Just thought I'd add my pennies worth. Bought our 16' Octavia 2.0 TDI 150 from Motorpoint last November at around 14K miles. Within a couple of thousand miles noticed strange tapping noise on acceleration usually between 2 - 3 at low revs. Problem is intermittent. Been back to Skoda in Peterborough couple of times and the fault hasn't showed up - tends to get better when warmed up. They put it down to the Vaccum pump rotor and I got showed the infamous technical bulletin. Since then a rattle on idle has appeared and as someone else described sounds like a bag of spanners. You get a slight rattle if you tickle the throttle at idle as well. Not what you expect from a £20K car. 

Skoda won't replace under warranty - no matter how bad the noise is. Disgusted. Went for a Skoda after owning a Golf 2.00TDI with PD engine for 10 years without major issues and since they're part of the same group wrongly assumed the reliability would still be there.

I know the noise apparently doesn't cause damage but it's bloody embarrasing when you park up - I swear people look round. I swear it sounds noiser driving as well - not just at idle.

It's also going to make it harder to part ex the car as thinking of trading in for a VW transporter - wish I'd done this in the first place now.

Shame on Skoda for not resolving this issue :-(

• Like 1