1.9 PD Engine Noise Question

I have a 2009 1.9 (BXE) engine Skoda. It's covered 116,000 miles, only had annual servicing, so more frequent oil changes than variable, it's only ever been run on Quantum 507.00 oil.

In the last few months it has started to make a slight 'turbo whine' noise, more audible when cold and at very low revs.

The pitch of the whine is 'elastically' connected to throttle use, i.e. quite laggy. At higher revs (1700+) the noise is completely drowned out, it's not loud enough to hear above the general din. It is not directly connected to engine revs and doesn't seem audible on the overrun.

I have checked the turbo for spindle play and that seems ok (it's original). I can't see any leaks to any intercooler pipes or joins, or any split vacuum pipe rubbers, the EGR valve was surprisingly clean fwiw (never been cleaned before).

The mpg and performance hasn't changed since this started and there are no faults logged. The oil consumption is ok.  Recently I am doing fewer long journeys.

Any ideas? Or is this to be considered a normal noise for the age and mileage? Does the tandem pump ever make any noise when it's worn?

I've put this in the Octavia forum as there are loads more of these engines in Octavias and their owners are more diy orientated!

Cheers.

Edited by CombatWombat

My 1.9 did the same from 94k up to when I sold it with 186k miles, sometimes was loud enough to make me think there was a police car behind me, I never thought it was a major issue, like you I changed the oil on a regular 7 to 8k basis.

Same engine, the PumpeDuese sometimes change their noise a bit...no time to worry as long as the oil is okay. Did you change the timing belt, waterpump, spanners ? Sure, that it is no waterpump whining?

After 8 years did you ever change the belt ?

Next time try to add a glass of smokefree or lowsmoke, semi synthetic 2 stroke oil into the diesel tank before filling up, then it´s running smoother and it will clean and grease the injector nozzles 

Edited by 0ctavist

Thanks for the replies gents.

The cam belt and water pump has been changed, but is due again about now.

I did a 150 mile motorway journey in it today, by the time I finished the whine was almost completely inaudible at any revs.

Which is odd, as if it was turbo bearing noise, I thought it usually got worse as the engine warmed up.

Cheers.

Edited by CombatWombat

Okay, cheapest way ..a new turbo...better than all the evtl. broken bursted stuff pieces through the hole engine. But you'ved checked the turbo spindle and the shovels and they looked correct. So, up to your decision.