Suspension for improved ride

Dear All

I have a 1.2 DSG Roomster 2012. It has done 30,000 miles and is in good condition.

I want to improve the suspension to make it more comfortable. I certainly do not need it lowered and the suspension made firmer.

We use the car to transport my 92 year old mother in law and want to make it as pleasant as possible. The main reason for a Roomster was my MIL could hop in and out with ease. I wanted a new Superb; but it was difficult to get in or out!!!!

I am not seeking better cornering, just a more pleasant ride.

I have seen the Koni FSD kit has anyone fitted these to a Skoda?

Are there any other set up I could consider.

best regards

Paul

Hi Paul.  Sorry I can't help with suspension. 

But can you confirm the tyres are standard 195/55 R15 - and not the optional 205/45 R16 as fitted to Scout?

I've owned Roomsters with both and the difference in ride quality has to be experienced to be believed!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Robjon said:

Hi Paul.  Sorry I can't help with suspension. 

But can you confirm the tyres are standard 195/55 R15 - and not the optional 205/45 R16 as fitted to Scout?

I've owned Roomsters with both and the difference in ride quality has to be experienced to be believed!

Thanks for that; but which ones did you find the best? LOL

probably the 15" with taller sidewalls.

Suggest you double check tyre pressures and ensure they aren't over-inflated.  (ie: run the minimum pressure possible)

Also, some tyres just run harsh, so research better riding tyres.  I seem to recall the Continentals with 2 ply sidewalls were fairly good.

I can't comment on FSD but Koni Sport set to full soft were more compliant than OEM dampers on my Octavia.

20 minutes ago, brad1.8T said:

probably the 15" with taller sidewalls.

Definitely the 15" with taller sidewalls (and smaller width)

22 minutes ago, brad1.8T said:

Also, some tyres just run harsh, so research better riding tyres.  I seem to recall the Continentals with 2 ply sidewalls were fairly good.

The 16" Turanzas on my Scout seemed exceptionally harsh - and the Dunlop SPs that replaced them seemed little better.

The 15" Falkens on my SE gave a much better ride.   But if I'd kept the car, I would probably have changed them for Good Years.

Thanks for that.

I have standard 195/55 R15, the pressures are all correct. There is no problem with the handling or ride but I just want to make an improvement over standard.

I think my existing shock absorbers are still good but must have deteriorated somewhat. Hence looking at replacement sooner rather than later to get a better ride.

best regards

Paul

Paul - I think you'll find shock absorbers become "softer" with use, and replacing them with OEM parts might actually firm up the ride.

If I'm wrong, then hopefully someone will come along and correct me.

As Brad1.8T has suggested, it might be worth replacing the OEM shockers with adjustables.

If you do decide to go down this route, please don't forget to inform your insurers.