Octavia 1.9 Tdi 4X4 Driving noises . . .

Evening All.

I've a '59 plate 1.9 Tdi 4x4 Octavia estate with 107k miles. FSH & always well maintained. Haldex serviced correctly. Not abused & barely towed with matching Michelin tyres.

Last couple of weeks it has developed a wump wump (!) drone noise predominantly whilst turning right - not tight turns but whilst on the move.

It increases in frequency as the speed picks up & appears to come from the front nearside (left).

All the wheels are secure. It has not been kerbed. No damage to tyres.

The obvious checks for front wheel bearing failure have been carried out & appear ok at the FNS.

I have read of various possible causes including:

Front wheel bearing failure

Haldex bearing issues

Rear suspension alignment

Any ideas out there from those who have experienced similar issues ?

Cheers !

;)

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for your suggestions above chaps. I have had all the wheels off for examination & balancing. All wearing evenly with no signs of failure.

It ain't going away !

Still appears to be front nearside - and is definitely speed related.

I was also wondering if the prop shaft might be an issue ?

I've read of problems relating to both six speed gearboxes & Haldex couplings, but my experience appears different to those experienced by others ?

Mmmm . . . . ? :speechless:

• 2 weeks later...
On 13/08/2017 at 22:30, Killin said:

On my vrs 59 reg is was a failed wheel bearing that caused the droning. The tone changed with the cars speed 

Interesting . . . was this noise related to turning in one direction also ?

On 09/08/2017 at 13:36, davidwhite said:

Have you tried swapping wheels from front to back to see if noise follows the wheel ?

Did this yesterday & haven't driven it yet so the jury is out . . . 

Thanks for your replies chaps ;)

I didn't try reversing fast enough to try out 'the noise' so can't be sure ;-) however the noise increased with the speed and it has gone since the wheel bearing was changed.

the squeaking on turning left (another post) ended up being a failed caliper (different wheel).

going to get all calipers, disc, pads and bearings checked now as both issues caused little merriment (spl) ;-)

car done anout 85k if that is of interest