Amundsen dab+, bluetooth (Fabia2 vRS)

After messing around with a couple of different Android units, I've had enough and I want something that works, sounds as good or better than my original unit, and has dab+. The original unit in my car is a Skoda Swing. It actuallty sounds great, but where I live is dab only now, so I'd like something with that. Kenwood units and Columbus are too expensive for my taste right now, however ebay seems to have quite a few Amundsen+ dab units.

I'm a bit confused when it comes to bluetooth. As far as I can tell all the Amundsen dab units come with built in bluetooth. I've already got the under seat module integrated with the car, contacts in maxidot, steering wheel integration etc. How will that end up working if I install the Amundsen?

And does it integrate fully with the maxidot (NAV instructions, song name etc)?

Not all the Amundsen Plus units have Bluetooth, but even if it does then you can disable the Amundsen Bluetooth and continue using the underseat unit.

Once coded it will work and integrate completely with the Maxidot etc.

• Like 1

Ok, checking for Bluetooth is quite easy, if you can get pics/see the labels. You'd be looking for "MAC address", and the sticker reading something other than 00:00:00:00:00:00:00:00

Amundsen+ (RNS315 in VW speak) came in various options: BT, RVC, DAB. BT is described above, RVC interface is a long rectangular one, and DAB is a black FAKRA connector.

There's no built-in microphone for BT. DAB requires a separate aerial, and Reverse View Camera needs.....(wait for it).....a camera.

The difference between Amundsen+ and RNS315 is colours and logos, they're functionally identical. (RNS310/Amundsen {not +} is an older variation on the unit)

The biggest PITA is updating the maps, expect to part with serious wonga to get the update SDCard, and it's a one-shot thing too. Once updated the card is useless.

(Columbus maps can by easily updated.)

Amundsen+ is also BAP only, so don't expect it to work with DDP (older) MaxiDot. (Columbus swings both ways) However, MaxiDot is not required to use the unit (unlike Columbus/bluetooth.)

Personally, having had both, and if you already have the BT unit under the seat, I'd look to get a Columbus....it's better, has better integration, better nav, updateable maps etc. DAB can be added (external, but integrated) too.