The saloon!

Hi i currently have a dying vauxhall zafira and have been offered a 2001 fabia saloon at a very reasonable price and wanted to know if anyone uses em as family cars? I have a wife and 2 kids one in a buggy/pushchair have only seen the car from outside and going to go look today I have heard the boot on the saloon is big but not seen any decent pictures or heard any decent reviews as they all seem to focus on either the hatch or estate 

Thanks in advance 

Saloon was quite popular here in Ireland and along with the estate has an extra 10" on the back of the car. The estate takes copious amounts of whatever you feel like throwing in the back. Currently, I'm running a hatchback and can squeeze the granddaughter's buggy / pram in the boot along with changing bag and a few odds and sods but have to leave the parcel tray out so I can put the base of the pram on it's edge. Using the boot space only in the estate you can lie the base on its wheels due to the extra length of the boot floor. 

The boot is pretty huge so the only drawback is the seats don't fold forward to increase the load space.

I found my buggy would not fit in the hatch but was OK in the estate.

However as long as the boot in big enough for your push chair and the condition is good compared to the price then go for it.

In general they tend to be bought by more mature drivers so a high spec and low mileage is typical.

If you state the engine/trim/mileage and price people will be able to give you some feedback.

Well I went and purchased it and was able to get the bugy a folded down travel cot a 28 inch TV a plug in travel fridge and still have room left needless to say iam very impressed! 

The car itself is a

2001 fabia saloon 1.4 16v 100bhp 

65k on the clock 

Mot March 2018 

The rear seats and passenger seats look and feel like they have never been sat in! 

Electric front windows and air conditioning 

Only things it needs is a power steering sensor replacing as the power steering has gone and the light is on dash, and the couple I brought it from had already purchased the sensor so that in a box in the boot ready to fit, just gota figger out how and where to fit it, apart from that it's great its nippy for the size of car it is it's half the price on insurance than the zafira and it's ride is more comfy than the zafira on the country roads I travel on every day! 

Can see the appeal of these cars especially as it's returning 40+ mpg!! 

• Like 4

That is good news, the power steering is a weak spot I am on my 3rd pump on my oldest car.

If the light is permanently on it is unlikely the sensor will be the only thing you need.

There is a comprehensive guide on the technical section to diagnosing the pump so well worth joining up.

If you put your location someone near to you may be able to help with VAG-COM etc.

Pumps are now more affordable than they used to be, so unless you are really stuck for cash I wouldn't bother with a scrap yard one.

The job itself is fairly easy.

Regarding the power steering - check the fuse links on top of the battery as they are prone to developing cracks.

555567.jpg